1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First attempt at a refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by skeptikal, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Skeptical, really, especially if you got the 'vette you wouldn't need the Thumb. It may impress you in the store, heck, you may even like it, but when you own it for a month or so, you just realize how limited it's potential is. The BB's wood characetiristics are "bright resonant" so no need to put "bright" PU's in it. My luthier is quite impressed with the bass' resonance, and that's another reason why I'm keeping it.

You should consider pickups with deep and bold sound, those with Alnico magnets in them. Maybe Seymour Duncan Basslines, or something like that. Ceramic will make it way to trebly, but hey, meybe you want it like that. And don't forget to shield everything. Even $2000+ basses have piss poor shielding.

As for the corvette - the only thing I'd do to it, is to replace the MEC's. MEC's are shoddy, and they can't help the bass open its entire potential up.

As for the streamer. My friend owns a Streamer Stage II, but it's been modded. He put some custom made pickups in it. It does sound BIG. But then again - so is the pricetag.

2. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I had the same reaction when I first started sanding. Kids, when somebody with 20 years experience tells you "don't bother stripping poly", you don't strip poly ;)

But you seem to be getting good results, so in the end, it might be worth it.

3. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hahaha thanks. Yeah it was really stupid. My next move is building one from scratch but we'll see how that works out, everyone falls their first time right?

But I went and checked on it today and I'm gonna do 4 more coats and be good. It's darkening more and more and I'm getting more and more excited. I think it's gonna look cool especially with black hardware.

4. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've got 7 coats of Tung Oil on it and it looks like it hasn't gotten any darker from the last 2 coats so I think I'm gonna start putting it back together.

So how do I finally finish the body? I haven't done much to the neck besides the headstock. Do I have to rub it one more time with steel wool and then apply a wax? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

PS.. anyone got any ideas for pickups? still going to be a passive bass.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Rub it one more time with 0000 steel wool, wipe off the dust and use some furniture paste wax. Buff it to a beautiful sheen with a soft cotton cloth. Don't use the spray waxes or liquid waxes. Use furniture paste wax, which is made for polishing furniture. Don't use paste wax made for polishing floors. It's too hard to buff by hand.

6. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Anyone want to buy my 'vette so I can finish this thing? It's done oiled, I need parts for it! Gotta sell my warwick before then!

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    you should use that deep cherry stain and then fade it out to a black in a burst pattern.

that would be hot.

8. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Been a while since this threads been updated. I finally bought parts this morning from buzzard bass shop. Picked up...

Set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz's
    Set of Gotoh style tuners
    Deluxe 4-string bridge

All black hardware.

Need some help getting the pots, knobs, and input jack. I don't think it can be prewired because the input jack is on the bottom of the bass (when you're holding it) instead of the front. Anyone got a good site for this?

9. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    He managed to get a better deal on the Ultra Jazz's so he's throwing in the Wiring harness for free! What a guy!

10. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Woot Woot!

I missed the delivery of the parts yesterday. Going to pick them up today from USPS. I can't believe what kind of a deal Brian @ Buzzards Bass Shop gave me. Holy crap. All new black hardware for ~$225. Can't wait to put it together!

11. I wish I could do a refinish on a bass. I've been really wanting something that just blings....a silver flake finish. Was thinkin' about buyin' another SX and havin' it done, but from everyone I checked with, I'm gonna be lookin' at $400 for the refinish. That doesn't count shipping/return shipping. Good job on your bass. I love the natural look with black hardware.

Steve

12. axaneel

axaneel

May 9, 2009
    Markbass=sex.
    And the bass he has is beautiful too.

13. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Let us know how it turns out T_T

14. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Halfway done. Going to take it to B# guitars tomorrow to have them wire everything up and set it up.

I am in <3 with the black hardware... Also tryin out some DR Black Beauties for the full effect.

[​IMG]

15. nice man

16. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    wow i was able to pick it up the same day!

plays awesome and sounds freakin cool. can get some real chunk out of it, and still give it some clang. Probably end up getting rid of the Black Beauties, but it loks bad ass IMO :)

17. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Here are pictures.

Sorry they are from a camera phone. They look kinda cool tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It plays like a freakin dream. Thanks Brian at Buzzard's Bass Shop for dealing with an indecisive customer and for hookin me up with the harness And of course B# guitars as always for the help finshing and perfect setup.

18. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    lol nevermind the tape it's coming off!

i couldn't find my razor. going to pick one up tomorrow.

19. Soloshchenko

Soloshchenko

Feb 2, 2009
    I think it looks a massive improvement but I do kind of hate all black basses.

I actually nearly bought a black squier today with thoughts of doing a re finish.

Knowing what you do now would you have done it all? Seems really hard work. Should I borrow a belt sander to stop me giving upon life?

How long was all the sanding?

20. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would highly suggest an orbital sander or something like it. Paint removal stuff doesn't work on that crap. 10-minute removal my ass!

Work wasn't bad. I wish I would have used an orbital sander. Also I wish I would have had the parts as soon as I took it apart.

Sanding total..... almost a week 2+hours each day. But that was by hand (including paint removal).