1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Attempt at Double Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by coastward_kid, Jan 5, 2012.

1. coastward_kid

coastward_kid

Dec 8, 2007
  2. the bass did not realy come through on U Tube plus your Right hand looked like an EB player tying to play a DB dont mean to be critical . Just my Obsevations . the song and vocals were very good plus the clip was well done

3. coastward_kid

coastward_kid

Dec 8, 2007
    No I very much appreciate it. Could you direct me towards a lesson that would help with right hand technique?

4. coastward_kid

coastward_kid

Dec 8, 2007
    And thanks for the feedback on the clip itself. It was my first time trying to shoot as well.

5. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Check out The Simandl Method.

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    nice clip

but...

wait for it...

get a teacher... om... get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...get a teacher... om...

In all seriousness you'll get as much out of a handful of face to face lessons as you will out of a year with Simandl alone.

7. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    looks like y'all had a blast making that video... that vibe actually helps the song, IMO.

Like tez123 pointed out, I was unable to hear the bass even with the bass eq on my player maxxed.

recording an upright bass is tricky, wish i could offer some tips on that.

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Fixed it.

The video quality looks great and I like it a lot. Can't tell about the bass cause crappy computer speakers. Even a couple of lessons to learn how to stand with the bass, left and right hand fingering. Enjoy the journey.

9. coastward_kid

coastward_kid

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have a couple of contacts that I'm certain could find a few lessons for me in exchange for a couple of beverages.

10. coastward_kid

coastward_kid

Dec 8, 2007
    We plan on doing another one two Fridays from now. Any tips on how to better record the bass?

11. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL

True.

12. coastward_kid

coastward_kid

Dec 8, 2007
    Any more suggestions on how to record this better this weekend?

13. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I can't even hear the bass with my headphones. +1 on getting lessons and get a double bass teacher to show you how to get an attack on it, otherwise you're just pussyfootin' with it and getting an anemic sound that doesn't come through. Turning up the recording volume on the bass is only going to reveal your lack of intonation (unless you have perfect pitch or something). I'd just scrap it and go with an EB for your recording.

Sorry, but that's the cold hard truth. DB takes a certain level of commitment and is more difficult than EB.

14. coastward_kid

coastward_kid

Dec 8, 2007
    I've already lined up some lessons. I'm really hoping that DB can take me past this 'plateau' I feel I've reached on EB.

15. coastward_kid

coastward_kid

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks for the honest feedback though! It's refreshing to know some people call it as they see it!

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Wait'll he gets a load of me....

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Oh and enjoy some Neal Miner TV.

Watch his right hand and compare it to your right hand.

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You're gonna have to pull on the strings at some point. I think Tez 123 was right.

Oh, and in the future, don't let cute girls play your bass in your videos if you want constructive criticism. It just makes our minds wander to more pleasant things.

19. coastward_kid

coastward_kid

Dec 8, 2007
    I've got some work to do...

20. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    One thing to consider with UB is the more you move your body around the less you will play in tune. Notice how little the BP moves in the clip Ed posted - he's still groovin but not excessively movin. In my short time playing the UB I have learned that I have to pay attention to how I stand, move, breathe etc. It is too easy to screw up your intonation by excessive tension or body movement - this will make more sense when you start battling with intonation and moving up the neck. As already mentioned your right hand technique is not getting much sound out of the bass, check the player in the vid, he's using the side of his index finger, pulling on the string in a purcussive way. I don't know much about recording but you could pipe the recording into head phones while you play along and record yourself, then listen to your track over the rest of the recording