1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First attempt using a CAD program...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ray Holt, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Hey guys, I'm getting ready for my first build and now that I've finally got all the parts I can lay out the pickup/bridge positions. Take a look at what I came up with using VectorWorks... it's very basic but that's just what I want... something to make a template with. What do you think?

(It's going to be a 7 string guitar)

VectorWorks is a bit confusing... anybody here used it? I just want to make sure that it prints out at full scale. Will it automatically print at full scale?

Attached Files:

2. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    I work with Acad and Inventor. I have never worked with VectorWorks. But I would assume, that if it is a precision cad program, you will have the option in your print or plot dialogue box to print your drawing to scale.

3. I'm a SolidWorks guy m'self. Haven't heard of Vectorworks before, but judging from their site it seems a very capable piece of software!
    I have to build product (sight)models/prototypes a lot (being a student in industrial product design engineering) and thus often use prints as templates. I use SolidWorks' drafting (engineering/technical drawings) capabilities for this.
    If the printer software/driver is correct, SolidWorks churns out engineering drawings as exact as the printer can possibly make it, to any scale you set the drawing sheet to.
    The bottom line: as long as it's a CAD program that can make engineering drawings, and the printer driver is correct, it'll print *exactly* to any scale you set it to.
    Hope this helps...