1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First audition in a loooong time...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kesslari, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Tonight I had my first real audition since I started playing again (I've had some bands and gigs, but those were from people who've heard me play - this was the first "we've got several people we're auditioning" situation). Funk band, quite good. I've been playing with a singer-songwriter and with an Americana band, so this is the first really groove-oriented band I've played with this time around.
    I brought the fretless Ibanez (great growly funk tone) 'cos if I'm gonna get the gig I'll get it being me and playing what I like to play.
    We played some originals and some cool old school stuff ("use me up" and "I'll take you there"). Man! Some fat grooves and a very solid drummer. What a great time! The people who were sitting out back during the previous bass player's audition all came in to hang out, which I take as a good sign. Got compliments on my playing and my tone. I don't know yet if I got the gig, but a good time was had by all, including me.
    Now comes the "waiting to hear if I got it" part.
    Regardless, it was fun. :D

2. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Mission accomplished as far as you're concerned. They may or may not choose you for a variety of reasons, but if you feel good about what you laid down...well, that's what counts.

I typically used a fretted guitar for the funk stuff, particularly an active bass like MM Sterling. Gives me ideas about using the fretless more...huh.

-richard

3. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Just got the call. Got the gig! I am stoked.
    goes to prove Chuck Rainey's rule: show up, be yourself, groove hard.

4. Congratulations!

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Let us know how it goes.

Congrats!

6. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Turns out the drummer recorded the whole audition and sent it out to the band.
    Including me.
    Doesn't suck. Doesn't suck at all :D
    Promises some really good stuff when we've got some playing time together under our belts.