1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First audition today!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fetusyolk, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    I've got an audition today and i've got to leave in about 5 minutes, but man am i nervous. Normally i'm cool with playin in front of other musicians but now it's different :meh:.

I found this guy thru craigslist ( i was on looking to post an ad for a drummer and i found one for a bassist ). I'd missed playing in groups so i decided to give it a shot. We'ved talked on the phone twice about it and he sounds a bit older then me, but he knows i'm 17. Hes a drummer and hes got a guitarist, whom cant make it today (at least in the beginning) so it'll just be me and him, which i'm fine with. But man am i nervous. i haven't played with anyone in about a month, and never with my 5 string.

I dont know why i'm posting this
    nerves man nerves

oh well, time to bass it up:bassist:

p.s. I'm wearing my 'who flung poo? ' shirt for good measure.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Go rip it up, most importantly, have fun doing it!

I remember back in the day, I had only been playing a little over a year(self taught) at that point. I was 18 and went to audition for this band, they all ended up being in the mid to late 20s, and I was REALLY nervous. At that point I had only played with a small handful of other musicians. It actually ended up going really well. I showed them a few tunes I knew and that they covered, and then they showed me their CD and asked me to play along with it (after showing me the parts) and overall they were satisfied, and asked me to join. I ended up not taking the gig because they practiced from 11pm-1am on weeknights quite a distance from where I live, but they were some nice chaps, they even fed me and had me hang out with them for a while afterwards, it was an interesting night.

3. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Hope the Audition is going well. Be sure to let us know how it went.

4. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Good luck! I've got one of those audition thingies on Friday.

5. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    I just got back!

This was a little disappointing and a little exciting at the same time. I got there and turns out the guy was maybe a year or two older than me tops, so that was good. I set up all my stuff in this shed thing they've got in the back yard, it looks shifty but its pretty well set up and is basically a jamroom/recording studio. the guitarist got there a bit after me and we played a bit. Turns out it was more of a jam then anything permenant.

The drummer was acceptable in the sense that he could throw together a great beat at times and completely lose it at others, so it was in the middle.

The guitarist however was quite enjoyable to play with. We worked amazingly together and our instruments just seemed to be one, we really got some no-word communication goin on between us as people who kinda knew what they were doing, which is pleasing as that barely happens. He definately wasn't a gui**** as much as a musician, i could tell by the way he played that he realized the importance of all the instruments in the room, and we jammed out quite a few catchy tunes.

In the end they were nice guys and i had a nice time, i may even play with them again, but i doubt it'll go anywhere serious..

i sure would like to get ahold of that guitarist though.

6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Take from it what you can:

1. Don't be so nervous, its just an audition.
    2. Sometimes a few minutes of something good can make an hour or two effort worthwhile.
    3. Keep in touch with good players. In the end, they make up the best bands.

7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Glad you had fun. If you have time, go back and jam with them again and strike up a conversation with the guitarrist, maybe a band will come of it.