1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First band! Name/ covers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WyrdoBass, Aug 29, 2008.

1. I finally started my first band! The current roster is a lead gui**** (of 2 years) a rythm guitarist (of 2 months) and a singer.Still need drummer.We are currently calling ourselves Inside Joke (which narrowly won over The AppleJackasses, ditched cuz of "appropriateness") and plan to play punk-alt originals w/ some punk/ classic rock covers.
    Im the pro temp leader while we work out schedules.

What do you think of the name. and do you have any suggestions for good/easy covers in the aforementioned genres?

2. me first and the gimme gimmes

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Try to see as many cover bands that basically do the same material as you, and see what the crowd reaction is.

Ive been playing for about 20 years, and we still pick up the ''oh man we gotta do this one, everyone loves it'' songs, try them live, and get polite applause. While we also try some that we reluctantly learned, and they are way more fun to play than we thought, and crowds love them.

There are so many songs out there, you should be able to learn 100 songs, that are fun to play, that most people love, and that are technically at your level. Now the trick question is, what are those 100 songs.

4. Green Day, Blink 182, and the Ramones all have plenty of easy to learn punk songs that should go over with a crowd.

Inside Joke is a decent name...but the older I get, I try to stay away from being so self-deprecating.

5. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Inside Joke is actually a pretty good name for a young punk cover band. For a good punk crowd reaction definitely cover some Ramones, Sex Pistols, Social Distortion, NOFX, Bad Religion, and Pennywise. All easy bands to cover and most people know their stuff.

6. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

Inside Joke..... I like it.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Good Name....but there's a few bands with that name already:
    http://www.google.com/search?q="ins...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

+10

Btw: Usually it's Pro Tem or Pro Tempore....
    Pro tempore or pro tem is a Latin phrase which best translates to "for the time being" in English. This phrase is most often used in politics to describe a person who acts as a locum tenens (placeholder) in the absence of a superior.

You may want to check out the following TB thread on band management/advice real soon now.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429034

And the thread on "Best Musical Advice": http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434246

Good luck!

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, but he'll be a "pro temp" if he gets paid for his work but isn't expected to keep the position. ;)

Also I agree "Inside Joke" is a good young-punk coverband name. Not a name you could grow old with, but so what right now.

9. When my band first started, we did covers like

(Try to write one of your own)
    Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
    Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
    Trees - (I'm actually not sure who its by)
    Wild Thing - The Troggs
    Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd (Just don't do the solo.. unless he can)
    Holiday - Greenday (always a crowd pleaser)

There is many more I'm sure you guys are capable of doing.

Rock on:bassist:
    Bass Masta

10. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Inside Joke is a great name. A band name is honestly something you and your bandmates should agree upon. I always like literary references for band names, or references to things that you like.

For sure do the songs that are crowd favs, but I also think that this is where you can expose people to things that they haven't heard before, and is something that really influences you and your bandmates. Some obscure covers where one or two people might be like "holy **** they are covering that song?!"

Also here is your chance to throw a curve ball at the crowd too. How about some older Beastie Boys or Bad Brains; Face to Face, Pridebowl or Fugazi. Maybe a Misfits tune would be cool.

11. thanks for all the great advice! Some of the bands you mentioned hadn't crossed my mind :D. We're already planning to do Longview, Welcome to Paradise & Holiday by GD, (singer knows alot of GD). & smells like teen spirit. Definitely gonna look into some of the suggestions. Thanks!

12. Oh yeah, my main goal with the name Inside Joke was to stop the lead guitar from naming us "The Diffusion" :rollno: sounds techno. Rythym guitar suggested The AppleJackasses but it wasn't a realistic option lol.
    We'll probably end up renaming ourselves 20 times anyway lmao...

13. Metallica (Battery and Motorbreath)
    System of a Down (Toxicity)
    Tool (Schism)

14. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I'm guessing most of those would be a bit tough for a young punk band, except maybe face to face. however, that would be one of the few cover band sets I might be willing to actually watch. maybe toss in some embrace and some quicksand. :)

15. BluezBassist

BluezBassist

Aug 5, 2004
    I see that Inside Joke is already taken. I've always been a little reluctant to associate myself with a name that would welcome a joke at our expense. How about Insider Trading...Nobody seems to have that...

As far as song ideas go, you've got plenty of good advice already, stick with Greenday, Blink, Ramones etc. and for the love of Gawd pleeease don't do a punk version of a Britney Spears or any other mainstream song...It's been done...

16. BritneyPunk? *shudder* scary, scary thought...

Yeah, I'll have to start thinking of something different for a name & let the others know...

EDIT: found a "band name generator" and am now entertaining myself by typing random words into it and seeing the random **** that comes out lmao...

17. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    First thing you need to do is find a better name. thats most important. you need to work out all the quirks about name, appearance and presentation.. very very important. Name your band something awesome, like "the ignorant sluts"

Now while having a kick ass name like "the ignorant sluts" is definitly the most important part of a band, the 2nd most important part is the clothes - Nay, WARDROBE that you wear on stage. remember to always try and sell your face.

your face and name are more important than your music.

:meh:

18. KOOSEE

KOOSEE

Jul 15, 2008
    southern CA
    I love the bassline from that song and it's definetly fun to play but if you were worried about the appropriateness of the applejackasses why would you play longview (lyrics aren't that appropriate.)

19. BoomSTICK

BoomSTICK

Jul 23, 2001
    Atlanta
    I've always thought that for punk/hard rock the name: United Waste was a good one.

Too bad it's taken by the big stinky garbage trucks that I see all the time:(

As far as covers go - try anything from the Cro Mags, Joy Division.
    7 seconds, Fugazi, the dead milkmen, etc.

20. Hmmm..... okay, the band name generator is pretty retarded now. It's first result is whatever your input was + "blubber"

Regarding longview- Everyone sees your band name (hopefully). A song we can choose when to play or not. The "Appropriateness" factor was if we ever wanted to do some family venues, play at school dance, etc, they more than likely wouldn't want a band with Jackass in their name lmao.
    We already know what we wanna play, just wondering what to call it :p