1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First band no guitar...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by euronymous, Mar 20, 2009.

1. I have jammed with a lot of people but serious (writing, gigging,ect). I have a bassist and a vocalist. Can we do any thing besides me get tight with the drummer? The music is heard by the guitar, so that makes it kind of hard. Any ideas/tips?

2. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    get a guitarist they shouldn't be hard to find

3. Thats what I thought too, but the other guys "want to find out sound first". I have taken the leader role, and wanted an opinion if I should stress the issue (seems pretty obvious to me). Thanks for your input

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Maybe you can play a 6 string bass, playing the chords/melody like a guitarist. Be unique with a vocalist, bassist and drummer.

Other than that, I suggest you start auditioning guitarists. Or maybe a keyboard player.

Why wouldn't you want a guitarist?

5. WHughes

WHughes

Nov 25, 2008
    Washington State
    you need a guitar player.

6. no you don't, you just need to be creative, me and some friends decided on jamming with just 3 basses(and drums) and it sounded great.

Try alternative tunings to play higher notes. The 6-string bass thing could work too.

7. You don't need a guitarist, or a 6-string bass.
    you just need a rock hard, maybe throw up some distortion or a guitar amp and octave pedal, and go to town.

8. gui****s are a dime a dozen,,, get one.

9. WHughes

WHughes

Nov 25, 2008
    Washington State
    again,
    you need guitar.

10. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    you don't need guitar.

Death From Above 1979

11. Sure you can jam in your garage like that and have a blast., But try getting someone to book you for a paying gig . 4 hours of bass and drums alone, will not a gigging band be.

12. WHughes

WHughes

Nov 25, 2008
    Washington State

yes, and if you dont need a guitar player, you should certainly consider another lead type instrument. Maybe bagpipes or piano.
    To quote Chris Rock, "sure, you can drive a car with your feet but that dont mean its a good idea".

13. ForSix

ForSix

Jul 22, 2008
    I've been gigging since 1973.

Never had a guitar.

Piano works fine.

14. spark_chaser

spark_chaser

Nov 15, 2008
    Sanford, FL
    No gui****? sounds like a dream to me :D

15. Ive seen bands play without a bass gigging. Why can't bands gig without a guitar?

16. My band has no guitar, AND no vocals. We're doing fine. *shrugs*

17. NO BASS?????? That is against all moral fibers of my being.

18. Wow! Thanks for the replies, I forgot I posted this. I have actually been playing my bass like a guitar with a distortion pedal. Its working out pretty well so far, plus I don't have to deal with some punk that has smaller strings and a bigger head.
    Someone mentioned getting a gig with this line up...I don't know if you know the Portland metal scene,if you do please tell me I sure as hell don't.
    Playing has a lot to do with bar cords and power cords, solos are easy too just dont stay in one area of the fret board for too long. I used to play with a death metal pedal by myself all the time. You can only do finger excersises and scales for so long before giving up all together. I am glad I'm not the only one that thinks it can work

19. well aye, i wanna start a doom/black metal band with two basses and a drummer. we don't need guitarists! (although i may or may not have been messing around with my tele and the HUGE marshall stack living in my kitchen this afternoon... :ninja:)

20. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I've been gigging (in my band) without a gui**** for almost 8 months now. I gotta say, I'm really happy about it :)

As for studio/on call/sub work... gui****s are impossible to avoid. :rollno:

Our setup is: Piano/Vocals, Drums, and me on my fretless. We have no shortage of gigs - and we live in Austin. I guess having a gorgeous 18 year old redhead as a front(lady?) doesn't hurt. Especially when she can SING :D