1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bathead, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    We were at Walgreens making fun of the boxes of douche bags in the back isle (sorry but that happened not gonna lie to ya:eyebrow:) and heres what happened.

Joe: Hey you play bass right?
    Me: Yeah....
    Joe: Your in my band!
    Me: Ok.....
    Joe: Me and a friend decided to start a band we need a bassist & a drummer. Your good right?
    Me: Yeah sure I guess, I've been playing for a bit now.
    Joe: Ok cool.

Thing is after we find a drummer I'm gonna need something to get myself into that band with a good first impression... so I've been thinking "What to play, what to play..." I got nothing.... help? lol... Any tips on how to impress a band when your "trying out" so to speak.

2. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Ask Joe if he has a song list, and if not, make one up of half a dozen songs you'd like to learn well & quick and send it to him as a proposal. No sense showing up with everyone knowing something different!:smug:

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    my first band ...

My brother took up drums and he had a friend who played guitar and asked me if I would be the bass player ... I said yes ... then I aksed ... "What is a bass?"

Well many years later my brother hasn't touched drums for years but I have become a very good bass player ...

My first "bass" was a 6 string guitar with flatwound strings ... i just removed the High B and E string ... I mainly played the low E string at that time ...

I then got a hofner copy that later got smashed in a gig ... eventually I ended up playing a 1968 4001 for many years ... now I play a lot of 5 string basses ...

I have played in a lot of bands ... so many that I lost track ... but it had to start somewhere ... so have fun in your first band ...

4. Shishkbob

Shishkbob

Mar 13, 2008
    Costa Mesa, CA
    still in my first band!

but i wasn't a bass player when asked to play bass. It is a reggae band so i just started out playing a alot of root-fith stuff in the begging. Expanded to root-fith-octive. now i move all over the place, but we do alot of original work. What i do mostly to figure out what to play is watch and listen to the guitar and get the roots. usually the singer has a chord progression in mind and a melody. From there i figure out a bass line to drive it.

I listen to alot of reggae now. all types, and listen to the bass lines. alot of it is very simular, but the fun for me is finding ways to change it up and make it unique for our band.

5. I suppose appropriate audition material would depend on the band's genre. What sort of stuff are you guys planning to play?

It sounds like fun. Just try to do your best on whatever they throw at you, have fun, and don't get discouraged if the project feels awkward for the first couple rehearsals.

6. Callum27

Callum27

Aug 12, 2007
    berkshire, uk
    my first band...

...My friends arrive at my door annoyed that their bassist hasn't shown up yet again, they heard I can play a couple of songs on bass, I'm in. Left it about 3 / 4 months later due to a ryhtmless drummer.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    my first band.

Hey man, you look angry

Yeah I hate society

Hey sounds like you are the guy we are looking for. Do you want to join us?

Sure why not ,

That was 20 years ago,

8. JHow

JHow needs to practice more...

Jan 10, 2007
    Jackson Mississippi
    lol

9. Ah, good memories of my first band...we were broke ass poor, I sold my Gibson Les Paul to buy a damaged Carvin combo (I regret that), while my guitarist had a cheap Crate half stack, my drummer used a drum rack he built out of Home Depot pipes, and my singer sang through a guitar amp, but we had so much damn fun!
    If you write your own music, be sure to learn basic song structure just so your songs don't sound like they are all made up on the spot, we did that for a while, and it sounded terrible, but above all, have tons of fun!