Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First bar gig, what a BLAST!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Jul 26, 2005.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    So my band played our first ever bar gig this past Saturday night. We had more fun than a bunch of old guys should be allowed to have. Short version is that we're all working guys, late 30's, with families, and we all recently resumed playing music after 10+ years of being away from it. We play a mix of classic rock. blues, pop, and a few country tunes. The lineup is me on bass, one rhythm guitar, one lead guitar who plays some keys, and a drummer. The two guitarists and I share lead vocals depending on the song.

We played at Whaleys Pub in Edisto Beach SC. It's a small beach bar and restaurant that caters to a mix of locals and tourists. We worked hard on the setlists, song ordering, and transitions between songs and we were really pleased at how the crowd reacted. We had many complements between sets, lots of folks saying that they enjoyed some of the different tunes that most "beach bar" bands don't play. Overall it was the most fun that I've ever had since I started playing bass 25 years ago.

Of course, we had the obligitory bar crowd incidents too, but we just laughed them off. The drunk frat boy jumping up on stage between songs to scream in a mic, the drunk chick requesting AC/DC, another drunk chick informing us "I AM Mustang Sally", etc. I have to say that I have learned alot from cruising talkbass and gleaning info from other threads here. We discovered that we need around 8 more songs to have three full sets that will run around one hour each. We'll need to work on that to get ready for our next gig in October, but I hope we can get a booking before that, cause I don't know if we can wait that long for another fun gig like we just had.

We've got the beginnings of a website at www.shacktownroad.com and I'd sure appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Shannon

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Mustan Sally is always a hit!!!
    But hey, glad to hear that you had such a great time, and here's to many more!

-Ray

3. Once the bug bites you'll never get well again :D

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Good for you, now keep it going :bassist:

BTW, checked your web site ...... my only suggestion is to lose the guitar headstock shot and get a good pic of that nice Fender head there instead :cool: :D ;)

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and well-wishes! We are really pumped and are looking forward to the next gig. Pointbass, the headstock shot and logo are the image we have on our business cards, so we decided to use it for continuity. Now if I could just get my voice back to 100%.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Great!! That feeling never goes away! It is the best feeling in the world to play on stage for a bunch of people who are having fun with you. I am 40 and have been playing for 25 years. I still feel like it is my first time on stage. Have fun!!!!