1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Bass amp - Help needed!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rawmouth, Aug 11, 2017.

1. GK MB112 with powered extension later

29.0%
  2. Hartke LH500 with Hydrive410

45.2%
  3. GK MB210 straight up

25.8%
  1. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Hi Everyone,

I am on the hunt for a first amp/cab/combo.

I come from a more studio background so have just played/learned through my monitors/headphones but now a friend wants to jam.

I am into Karnivool type progressive rock and we would like to start jamming with this style of music in mind. I have a Warwick streamer LX.

I have narrowed this down to three options:

1. Gallien Krueger MB112 and then later get an extension powered cab when funds permit. Concerned on the limits of the more basic tone shaping capabilities. Will the 200w of the MB112 be enough to start?

2. There is a really good deal on a second hand Hartke LH500 and 410 neo cab. Again limited on tone shaping capabilities.

3. MB210, but I will have to purchase this from overseas and lose warranty etc because in Australia it's a bit out of my price range. Or just wait a few months and get this. This is my preferred option but is a delayed gratification option.

I like the GK sound a lot but am I overthinking this decision as it's really my first amp and I should just get out and play more???

The LH500 is a steal with its neo cab. And I have heard good things about them. Will be heavy though. This has plenty of power and clean headroom which is a plus.

I know I should listen to them all and go from there but interested in hearing your opinions on each setup.

Element Zero likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    What will you be up against in the jam?

chaak likes this.
  3. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    For now its just myself and the drummer. He has been in a few bands and I think is quite good with his strikes in terms of dynamics but not sure how that translates into 200w vs 500w?

4. If it were me, I'd go with the G&K in a heartbeat. And for the very reason you mentioned, the extension powered cab option.

5. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    I was thinking about this, and my questions are GK growl on the 112?

Will 200w be enough until we get an ear bleed guitarist?

6. IDK. Of the two you mentioned, I go with the GK.

7. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    So no love for the Hartke yet?

8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Rarely run into a Karnivool fan.

Rawmouth likes this.
  9. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Harte will give you lots of bass. Buy it and resell it later, especially for a good price. Can you test it?

10. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah I can. A local bass teacher is selling it and he has graciously held off putting it up for sale until I have tested it. Pictures show it in perfect condition, but plugging in will tell.

11. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    I'd say there's a few few here where I am due to them being local here.

Such interesting music and absolutely excellent live. I saw them at a club and an open air recently and they were really tight both times!

Element Zero likes this.
  12. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Go for it!

Aqualung60 and Rawmouth like this.
  13. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah, Wednesday looks like when I'm going to go. Also will look at getting into a store to test an MB112 while that one is fresh in my mind

Wisebass and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Hartke is a good and simple powerful amp. I had the Lh1000, I moved it on only because of the weight.

The speakers are OK but there are better.

Can you not get the head and different speakers which are probably superior?

That way if you want to upgrade the head only you are in a good position, but you may not need to as Hartke give a really good sound

Lvjoebass and Rawmouth like this.
  15. Rawmouth

Rawmouth

Jun 21, 2017
    Perth, Australia
    He is only selling them as a set.

I get that at 8ohms it will be 350w but should be way more surface area so sensitivity should be up so it should be plenty loud.

On the flip side, is 200w enough though if I lean towards the GK MB112?

16. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    If you are just jamming, then any should be sufficient. If you start gigging, the single 12" will be a bit underpowered, but with the extension cab, it will do well. If it were me, I'd do option 1 or 2. I liked the hydrive combo I tried and that 410 should work great. But I own a GK mb212, and it slays.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  17. So what features got you narrowed down to the Hartke and the GK?
    Maybe if you let folks know what you're looking for someone can help.

18. OldFunBass

OldFunBass

Nov 5, 2016
    Florida
    Of your options...While I personally prefer the sound of the GK's better than the Hartke, I think the Hartke rig might be a better decision. The 4-10's will move a lot more air and the extra wattage of the head give you a very gig worthy setup. If you want to alter your tone later you can always pick up a used pre-amp or EQ to run into it. And since it is not a combo..later, if you want, you can change the sound by either looking at used cabs or amps, whichever you feel will give you the sound you are looking for. Definitely go try it out at least (using your own bass). Hartke's are a popular brand and a lot of folks really love them. It might blow you away and you will be set for whatever your music future holds.

19. Kro

Kro Formerly kap'n kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well..... honestly 200w will not be the limiting factor. The single 12" will. If you have a drummer with a light touch, it could probably get you by, but I can tell you from experience that a single GK 12" speaker will not be able to keep up with a heavy-hitting drummer.

With that being said, if you're able to make do and quickly save up for the extension cabinet, of those three options that you selected, that first option is IMO the best.

If the extension cab may be a ways off, and you'll need more volume sooner, the Hartke combination that you listed will likely get the job done from the starting line. I'm personally not a huge fan of 4x10s, but I do hold those LH amps in pretty high regard.

Lastly, your concern with tone flexibility with the GKs - feel free to throw that out the window. Like I said, I like those LH amps, but if flexibility is the name of the game, IMO it's hard to top any of the modern GK amps.

20. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Rawmouth :)

looks like a cool deal to me, guy's waitin' for you to check it, if he makes you a good price
    I'd say go for it. That rig will shake the Indian Ocean or any other club you play in.

hope we' ll see your NAD post soon :hyper::hyper::hyper:

greetings and

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Rawmouth and FunkyD like this.