First bass amp recommendation for newbee (Ampeg B-100R?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by martin jbass, Aug 9, 2004.

1. martin jbass

martin jbass

Aug 5, 2004
    Howdee all, this is my first post on talkbass. Just joined last Friday. Very nice site.

Been playing guitar for about 12 years and just bought my first bass, a 2004 Fender Highway 1 Jazz in sunburst. I'm very happy with it but now I need a decent amp.

While playing guitar, I've gone thru quite a few amps until I upgraded to decent quality gear. I'm hoping to eliminate this with my bass gear by buying a decent amp that I can grow into. Looking for an old school rock/blues tone that's good enough for the basement/home use but loud enough to jamming with buddies or playing out.

I've been reading up on the Ampeg B-100R. Whatcha think? Anyone others that I should check out? I'm looking to keep it under $500 and prefer new gear on this one.

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Welcome Martin! Congrats on your new bass...very nice!

I take it by your first choice on getting a combo that you not only need an amp but also need a cab. The B-100R is pretty cool, but will 100 watts through a 15" be enough for you? Do you really want to have a combo or are you open to amp/cab? Would you consider preamp/poweramp/cab?

I would have to say that Ampeg is a great choice for old-school/blues tone. But the Ampeg NEW prices pretty much limit choices, especially on a $500 budget. Have you thought about the Ampeg BA210 (the no efx one and it comes with a tuner and mute!). That's 220watts and with two speakers, you may just get enough volume for your uses. Plus, it's a combo, it's compact enough for rehearsal spaces, and I've owned's sounds pretty good!

Just a suggestion...if you have more description about direction you want to go in (gear wise, that is) that would help in narrowing down some amp options...

3. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I think the Ampeg B-100R is a great starter amp. I have one and like it a lot for "old School" tones. It is loud enough to play out with and has been totally reliable. I also have a B-15-N, B-15R and SVT-3PRO. As you can see I'm pretty happy with Ampeg's.
  4. martin jbass

martin jbass

Aug 5, 2004
    Thanks guys. As I mentioned, I am a bass newbee so what I should be looking for in a bass amp is clouded by what I'm familiar with in guitar amps.

I thought 100W would be more than enough just because 100W in guitar currency is pretty loud. I have to realize it takes more horses to get the bottom end! :eek:

Transverz, I think I'm leaning toward the combo approach for now because of the ease of use. Also, I have been reading up on as much bass info as I can and Ampeg seems to be one reliable starting point. I will check out the BA210.

As far as other details for components: loud enough for jamming but also basement use, headphone jack for late night, line out for PA, gain, decent EQ. Mute and tuner would be nice but not essential. Things I'm not concerned about at this point: EFX loop, on-board effects, small speakers, excessive wattage (like there is such a thing!!).
  5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    excessive wattage?! :eek: no way! :D

Ampeg combos are pretty cool, I must admit. If I were only playing smaller shows and practices, I would have kept my BA210 for longer than I did.

Actually, also check out the BA115. Especially if you aren't down with small speakers, like you said. 220watts and pretty convenient for transport. 3 band EQ, style selector switch, the excessive onboard tuner, and other stuff.

But I'm thinking the B100R has a sound you probably like because of the "vintage" properties. If so, that one could be cool too. I would just hate to get stuck at 100watts for the reasons you stated.

And yeah, 100 watts of all tube madness dripping out of a full stack is quite cool too... hehe :ninja: but maybe not as cool as 400 watts of an all tube bass amp... :D