Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First bass amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poop-Loops, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I'm just starting bass guitar and need to get an amp for it.

The thing is, I have a job where I get a lot of downtime, so I will take it there and play. Awesome. But, I need a portable amp so that I can actually move it without breaking my back or looking like an idiot taking an amp into a fitness store.

I am switching from electric guitar. I have a Behringer V-Tone GM108 which I REALLY like. It's kind of bigger than what I wanted originally, but it's not so bad. I was hoping to get a mini amp for my bass, but I see that they aren't really made since the speakers blow out...

And no, I can't use the headphone bass deely that I've seen, because I need to answer the phone or help people when they come in. Wearing headphones will be too much of a hassle.

So, I wanted to get either this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBX108

or

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBT108

Since it's basically what I have now.

Are those any good for bass guitars? I'm willing to go a higher in price, if it's really worth it. This will only be used for practice by myself, maybe to show off to others, but no gigging.

2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I think swr or gk makes some decent smaller combo amps, maybe carvin as well.
    Why do you need an amp @ work though?

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    To hear myself play...

Why, will it make enough noise unamplified?

Those SWR and GK are too good for me, though. :(

4. so um... you plan on playing this at work?

where do you work... im unemployed... im seeking a job where i can play bass... lol..

no, good for you that you can... to be honest, i dont even know what amp you should buy, what exactly IS your pricerange?

I mean, most likely your only going to get one 8 inch speaker... and to me, these have all sounded not so good.. at least from reviews...

now is when you have to ask yourself questions like these...
    are you planning on sticking with bass for a while?
    it it worth your while to put more money into it?
    planning on upgrading ever?

if you plan to upgrade, a cheep amp is never a good idea... simply put, it will be an amp that you wont be able to get any money out of... believe me, unless your teaching students, they are hard to sell...

if it is worth your while, than i would suggest it... no one complains about having the best... its just that simple... so the more you spend upfront, the less likely you are to dislike your amp/dilike your bass/stop playing...

If your unsure you want to play bass, or just want to play it by yourself, which could be the case, than a "practice amp" would be good for that... but, like i said, if you plan on moving farther, you might want to get a bit of a bigger amp.. no not a 100 lb. 4.10 but something a bit bigger, maybe even the same size but with more wattage and a better speaker...

but thats just my adivce... theres ups and downs to every amp out there... well... allmost

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I don't know if I'm going to stick with bass. It'll be either bass or electric. I hear you can play an electric through a bass amp and get a very good clear tone, though.

I plan on upgrading if I stick to it. But I'll still keep my small amp in case I need to travel or something, so I don't plan on selling it anyway.

I won't ever play this thing loud. Ever. If I ever join a band, I'll buy something decent then. Now I'm just learning, so even a $1000 amp won't make me sound good. I just need something that isn't a complete waste of money and isn't huge.

UNLESS, the small jump in price will yield a big gain in quality...

6. and that my friend, is where i have no experiance... lol...

i would say, go mid range of the stuff that has the things you want on it... i mean, its a stab in the dark... but its all ive got

7. If you want to be able to play electric aswell, i'd suggest you get the Peavey Rage 158 guitar amp, 15 watt beginner guitar combo amp, ok, so its not the nicest sounding amp in the world (what started amp is ?) , but its cheap and reliable, i started off with guitar, then when i got my first bass used that amp for about a year and a half with no problems, its still working fine now i just got a bass stack, aslong as you dont turn it all the way up it should be fine, and it's louder than most bass amps of the same power

- Will

8. bifbugie56

bifbugie56

Feb 25, 2006
    I have a Behringer T-Bird ! I'm using it as a monitor.
    I use it for acoustic sessions and practices.
    It's just loud enough and sounds great.

9. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I play my bass at work with no practice amp.
    I think you'll be fine without one.
    But if its just for practice a guitar amp would do fine. I've played my bass through those 25 dollar "marshall half stacks" that are about 3 inches tall.
    Now theres some serious dirt!!!

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    So you're saying a guitar amp will do fine as long as I don't crank it too loud?

i_got_a_mohawk, did the Peavy sound good with the bass guitar?

11. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    as long as you don't play with others, turn up too loud and try to show off to some pretty thing.

12. i would definitley not suggest a guitar amp to play your bass through though... get a bass amp and put your guitar through it, if anything

13. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Does my mom count? :bag:

How do I figure out how far I can crank it? Will it blow out before I can tell? Or will it like start to crackle as a sign of too much awesomeness?

14. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    If you hear it start to break up then turn down. Unless you don't care about the speakers, then play innagaddadavidda.
    But keep in mind you'll be practicing at work, so an amp might be a pain, you won't want to be audible by anyone but yourself sitting a foot away and my mindset is that you don't need an amp to practice at work.
    Keep in mind that it'll sound like garbage and will lack any sort of bass, but it nails that bridge pickup soloed sound. But any sort of practice small wattage amp generally sounds like junk (comparatively).
    good luck.

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Hahah, I'm the only one at work, so I don't care. :-D

I just need to be able to hear the phone if it rings, and notice when people walk in.

In the summer I'll most likely be working 10am-6pm 4 days a week and 11pm-3pm Sundays, like I did all last summer... The only difference is, now I'll actually have something to do instead of hating myself for not having a life. Ahem. So, I'll just save up some money until summer and buy something decent. For now I guess I'll just use my guitar amp. This makes things a lot better. I don't want to buy 2 amps. :D Thanks everybody.

16. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I would advise against getting a small guitar amp for bass. They're usually open backed, and tuned for guitars higher frequencies. You'll blow the speaker even before you hear it "cranking". One of those little amps should be fine, but to be sure you should head over to GC and try them out, including other small 100 dollar bass combos. Just make sure they're not open backed guitar amps with a "bass" sticker on the front.

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
  18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try the Yorkville Sound XM50C. It has a 10" speaker, 50 watts, weighs 30 lbs. and it sounds very good. You could also play guitar through it though it is really a bass amp.

It has a great 2 year "even if you break it" warranty and sells for less than $300.

I have one I use for teaching and practice at home. It would even handle a small gig in a small room. There's a direct out to go to a mixing board and CD inputs and a headphone jack.

Not bad for 30 lbs. The other brands don't sound as good in that price range.

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Damn, why are bass amps so much more expensive than guitar amps? :(

Anything for say... half of that price?

20. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington