Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first bass and dunno what to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basschic, Nov 19, 2000.

1. basschic

basschic

Nov 19, 2000
    Hi I have been learning how to play bass for about 2 months now and I am looking to buy a bass. I have been learning on a 5 string at school, but I am undecided if I should buy a 4 or 5 string and what brands I should check out and what a decent price would be?? I am looking to play punk and metal music as well.

thanks
    basschic

2. Well, Im glad to see there are other people who like punk. I would recommend a 4. I play punk. And a 4. But thats just me. Id check out Fender P bass, cuz they sound good and thats what a lot of punk bands play. You can get a Squier for $150-200-ish, Mexican Fender for $300-ish and American Fender for $900-ish if you buy new.

3. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Get an Ibanez GSR 200. They rock. Their great for punk and metal.

4. if you want to get a bass that will last you a long time, get a fender mexican p bass (or j, but p's are better in my opinion then jazzes for punk and metal). If you want the bass for cheap, buy it used. BUt dont get an ibanez, i have yet to find one i liked, they all have crappy electronics and sound real bad to me.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    As you wish, Angus. Yamaha? I'm quite sure I don't own one :( The BBG5-models are inexpensive and quite nice. And look nice too. Between fourer and fiver, pick one you like.
    There's really no reason why you should not.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The Yamaha or Ibanez doesn't really ring "punk" to me...
    I personally picture a punk bassist with a Squier P-bass and lots of stickers on it. Are you (a) "punk" ;) or do you just play the music?

In case you have an attitude to preserve, get the Squier P (or any cheaper P-copy)... if you feel like thrashing it, it won't dig a big hole in your wallet. ;)
    But in case you actually want a good instrument, that you will keep for a while and you're ready to spend some more cash, look elsewhere.

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Buy the bass that puts the biggest smile on your face when you play it at the music store. You may have to bring along a friend for observational purposes. :D

8. Yep i agree. Ibanez are naff, cheapy-tat to be avoided at all cost.

If you're learning I'd go for a MIM Fender. Also, making bottom-end-but-still-pretty-cool-basses now are Spector and Hartke.... there's loads more, but I just cant remember.

Only advose really is, set your price range, think about what you want (4 or 5, active or passive, neck, weight, colour, style (it matters) then go and play every bass in the shop within your price range (and a few expensive ones for good measure!)

I'm guessing you've got pretty small hands(?) So I'd imagine a 5 could be a bit much? I've got big hands and long fingers (kinda like a baboon) and I cant get on with 5 strings.

GOOD LUCK.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    My advice is to go into every music store you can find, put smudges and fingerprints on EVERY bass in each store, until you find the one that you just CAN'T put down. BUY THAT ONE.

A recommendation, if you're looking for a 5, is the Squier P Bass Special 5. Excellent bass (for the money), should be able to get one for ~$300 USD. Good luck, and good hunting! :D

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Words of wisdom, Gard. WORDS...OF...WISDOM!....:)

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If I can gather a consensus of what everybody is saying, I think it would be that for punk you want a really heavy sound. For this you probably want a "P" pickup configuration. P stands for Precision, the (almost) oldest electric bass made by Fender. A P pickup looks like two little pickups staggered side by side. A "J" pickup configuration is two long, narrow pickups, so named for the Fender Jazz bass. The "J" configuration will give a brighter, clearer sound, but not quite as deep as a P.

There are lots of basses out there with a "PJ" configuration which means a P pickup in the usual P location, and one of the J pickups closer to the bridge. This is IMHO a very flexible arrangement because it gives the best of both worlds.

What is the make/model/pickup configuration of the school's bass?

And as far as 4 vs 5, I do not consider the number of strings to be an "advancement" issue (like, when you get better on 4 you can "move up" to 5); it's just different. If you're going to slap a lot, some people find the low 5th string just gets in the way. But plenty of people slap very well on a 5. And if heavy is what you want, you can't beat that low string.

All that having been said, it is nearly impossible to find a 5-string with a P pickup. So many manufacturers add active elctronics in the bass, so you can boost the low end. Of course, you're going to pay for that.

Good luck! And have fun shopping for a bass! The best advice is take your time and put your little mitts on every bass you can possibly find before you make a decision.

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hey, that's what I did!

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I guess that makes you a..WISE person...:D

14. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    when i started playing 2 years ago i had bought a sqiuer? p-bass 4 string(always spell it wrong)
    i liked it but got conned into upgrading for name to a fender mex P; the one i got i didnt like but when i traded back i couldnt get my old Squier(sold)...so i settled for a used
    Mexican fender P, which had a birds eye maple neck and the only difference is that it has much better sustain and the pickups seem to 'put out more volume'

-then i bought the Ibanez GSR-200 i liked it, lots of different tone, but the pickups didnt put out enough it felt like i was losing alot of volume when played-i only use that for slap now, also the low e has a much diffent tone, the ibanez tone to me, its.....hard to explain but was too muddy and didnt cut through

so i would say get the Squier P bass, saves money -but make sure you try them out and get the best of the ones the store has,

i wouldnt get the 5, yet, you dont NEED a 5 for punk and metal and if you get a 5 youre going to have hassles with amps and getting the sound you like-to supply the 5
    and when you want to move on i would just buy a pre amp processor that will give you and EQ compressor and FX if you like
    that should make up for sustain and some tone

*you know whats funny; this beginner thread has been asked by many, but the name 'basschic' calls for many more replies....or am i wrong??

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    :rolleyes:

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

My opinion is similiar to what alot of the other members said. And that is to try as many basses as possible get what sounds good, feels good,and looks good.

Also a side note is you get more bang for your buck when you by something used sometimes saving 50% compared to the new price. Some basses hold their resale value more ex:Fender,Gibson, Musicman/Ernie Ball etc. Ibanez, Cort,Jackson etc wont hold a resale as much.
    So in the future when you decide to trade up to a different bass you'll have more to $$ on your trade in.

17. assteak

assteak

Nov 3, 2000
    So a Jazz bass will work for punk?

18. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Looks like basschic flew the coop?

19. As for who plays what.

Chris Novoselic (guess what band formerly) plays Gibson Thunderbird IV. And Creed's bassist too. Well, the T-Bird's sound is considered to be hard and appropriate for "alternative" music.

A LOT of modern punk/hardcore rockers play Ibanez, primarily guitars: Offspring, Pennywise (the latter I consider to be the truest punk ever) etc. As far as I know, Pennywise's bassist plays Ibanez BTB.
    Fender Precision is for Sex Pistols.

Of course, this is rather the image.

Oh well, if you say SWR is crap, everyone will attack you, when you slam Ibanez... sigh :(

20. Oh, and I don't think you'll need a 5-stringer, because in punk, bass most of the time supports guitar power chords (or conversely ;) ) so it's reasonable if it has the same pitch one octave lower as guitars.