1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First bass body build, come watch me screw it up!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AudioTaper, Oct 28, 2020.

1. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Hey all!
    This is my first bass body build thread. Positive comments and suggestions are welcome!

I'm not a woodworker, let's get that out in the open right out of the gate. I've done some small projects and have 'some' tools.... but not usually the right ones.

This is also going to be a cheap build. If it works out well, I'll get some different wood and try it again.

I wanted to make a body for a Lakland Skyline neck that I picked up in a trade.
    20201028_214436.jpg
    It's one of the Korean made necks, so that's a plus.
    20201028_214219.jpg
    Pickup will be an older Bartolini MM that was traded for labor (installing an Aguilar Obp1 for a friend of a friend)
    20201028_213558.jpg 20201028_213613.jpg

Its passive, but I cant leave anything alone. I'll either buy a Bartolini NTMB or build a Stingray copy/variant.
    Volume, bass, treble, coil tap, push/pull passive mode. Nothing CRAZY like I have on my other project Peavey FrankenCirrus mod thread

2. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Now for the wood selection.
    A neighbor was having as ash tree cut down. I know ash in Ohio isn't the best, but hey - it's free and I might screw it up anyway.

It's in the neighborhood of 100lbs. It needs some work. 20201023_164859.jpg

I didnt have a way to cut it down, so I was able to justify the purchase of a Milwaukee M18 chainsaw (tool only, I already had a 9Ahr HO battery that came with a 1/2" impact wrench I use for car repair) 20201028_165129.jpg

I cut the first slab, I'll cut up more and use the kitchen oven to dry them. I need to pick up a moisture meter this weekend also.
    20201028_205029.jpg 20201028_205631.jpg

3. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    If you dry it in an oven it will likely split.

murphy, Rabidhamster, Beej and 2 others like this.
  4. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Bass body design? Why bother?! Warwick already has an almost perfect design here. I'll have to make some adjustments for the 22 fret neck, but I love this design.
    20201028_220908.jpg

If its OK, I'll probably post some pics of my other ongoing projects here also.
    Heres the list of what I have in the works.

2001 MIM Jazz Bass
    Install Graphtech Ghost saddles, mod the American Deluxe bridge I installed, install string through the body ferrules, install battery box, series/parallel switch for the 60's Custom Shop pickups.

1994 Warwick Fortress Masterman
    Repair damaged truss rod. I dont want to spend $130 on a new one when all it needs is the little pot metal retainer. I bought a 9/16" stainless bolt and I'll cut it to size.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    mikewalker and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    I read some woodworking websites about the process. It was saying 200°F for an hour with a cake pan of water under it. Check moisture content and do it again if necessary.

But theres only one way to find out!

EddiePlaysBass, Clark W and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Where's the popcorn?

Look like an interesting project

murphy, dbsfgyd1, mb94952 and 3 others like this.
  7. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    I'm out of popcorn, but I have a lot of sawdust in the driveway! Stomp it with a boot and it's basically an Eggo waffle.

8. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Kudos on the intestinal fortitude to tackle something like this. My gut tells me it will be a difficult task to pull off...

...but I totally hope you do, and I'll enjoy watching you try! :thumbsup:

9. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    And if I fail miserably... I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. This is on my bass project bucket list.

10. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I've told myself for years I am going to build a body. I've plans and ideas. Unfortunately I have a doll house to finish from scratch. I've learned a ton and acquired much needed tooling to do more
    I hope you enjoy it!

AudioTaper likes this.
  11. VolverseLoco

VolverseLoco Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Las Vegas
    How is that battery powered chain saw really working out for you? I mean, it takes a lot of sustained oomph, (DC Current) to keep that thing going through the thick of it. Did you have some fully charged spares waiting in the wings? As far as the 'doll house from scratch', have you even started that one yet? lol...trying to figure out priority's here..

AudioTaper likes this.
  12. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Yes but I won’t gum up this thread. Maybe sometime I’ll go for making a thread

now back to our battery power chain saw

AudioTaper likes this.
  13. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Are you gonna bake the slabs in one piece? Slice into 2 pieces? Both?

AudioTaper likes this.
  14. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    How do you plan on cutting the remainder and leveling off the body? Investing in a planer and scroll saw?

AudioTaper likes this.
  15. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    It has quite a bit of power. I went fairly slow and easy because I didnt want to break chain or anything. It never bogged down, but then I wasn't pushing it either.

I've never had a chainsaw before. My dad had a huge 26" Stihl when I was a kid. I would have borrowed that, but it's long gone.

No spare batteries, and the 9Ah battery was hot after 2 cuts. It needed to cool down and recharge. It seems to use a lot of oil, but the oil was pretty cheap. Overall, I think it's a winner. I hate 2-stroke gas and small engine maintenance in general.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    VolverseLoco, Bent77 and mikewalker like this.
  16. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    I wouldnt worry about gumming up the thread. If you look through my FrankenCirrus thread (link somewhere above) we went off on a tangent about the best cereal for metal.

bassman4jc, NKBassman and mikewalker like this.
  17. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    4 or 5 string dollhouse? Active or passive?

MuttThud, Queue, Bent77 and 1 other person like this.
  18. AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    I have to measure the useable area after drying and probably splitting. I'l planning on having 2 or 3 slabs cut and dried. If I have a 1 piece body, awesome! If it all splits and I have a 4 piece body that looks like crap, I'll cover it with glitter and clearcoat. I've always wanted a silver bass with a maple neck.

triode6L6a and S-Bigbottom like this.
  19. Terry Farmer

Terry Farmer

Mar 5, 2020
    Good for you brother. I’m looking forward to following the thread. Good Luck!

20. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That wood looks pretty wet! I think you can count on multiple cycles of oven-bake / overnight air-dry, over the course of about a week, to have any hope for obtaining reasonably stable lumber... (I would not be in any hurry to start using the planer on that)

Rabidhamster and Plain Old Barry like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020