Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Bass Choice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bojinx, Jun 13, 2005.

Bass Comparo from a true GreenBlood

Poll closed Jun 20, 2005.
  1. Aria IGB-65

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. G&L Tribute L-2000 Premium

86 vote(s)
    65.2%
  3. Yamaha BB414

38 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. bojinx

bojinx

Jun 11, 2005
    OK... I've narrowed my 'First Bass' choice down to 3, and I would like to see how the TBers feel about these axes. I can get all three of these from my local music shop, and I will sit down and play all three before I make my final decision, but I would like to know if anyone has any positive/negative experiences with any of these...

Please vote on the bass that you think is the best of the three, and feel free to say why you picked that particular axe, or why you did not choose the other two.

Thanks.

2. I own a G&L Tribute. That would be a Fantastic first bass. Its really something that will last you for years.

3. I have a Aria IGB 68/5 and a Yamaha RBX both are equally good. I can't speak to the G&L (but ol' Leo knows a thing or two about a bass) try them all and make an informed choice based on what feels/sounds good

without a good bottom, music can't stand up

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I love the looks of Arias.

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i vote for the Yamaha BB414 because for this price this bass beat the others,the finish is better and the sound...deep with clear slaps tones.

6. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    I voted in favor of the Tribute because alot of people say that quality build wise they are on par with alot of American made basses and they truly play great. Very versatile electronics as well, though considering this is going to be a first bass you might not really notice much of a difference with all the switches and stuff, but eventually you will and that is when it will shine. I am currently saving up to buy a Tribute 2500 from a local store.

7. My vote goes to the G&L. I already have 3 basses and plan on adding a tribute L-2000 to my arsenal this summer. They are great basses and sound really nice. I can't wait to get mine. :hyper:

8. bojinx

bojinx

Jun 11, 2005
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really am torn between the three and will definitely let my test drives be the deciding factor. I was counting on someone having a horror story or two in order for me to slim down the list, but it doesn't appear as if that is going to happen.

I'm leaning towards the Yamaha at the moment. It is less expensive than the other two, and OMFG is it beautiful in Wine Red. The Aria is quite sleek and sexy, and the G&L... well... need anyone say more than 'Leo.'

I'll be stopping by the shop tomorrow after a round of disc golf to bang 'em around some.

9. I love the look or the IGB series Arias. Every review I've read shoots off words like "woody," and "organic" which are words I'm a big fan of.

I don't own one, because no one around these parts sells Aria, and Aria's customer service stinks. That webpage of theirs hasn't been updated in 4 years now, I mean, c'mon....They even beat Jackson, who adamently refuse to take Jenna Jamerson off the homepage *LOL*
    I've tried e-mails, but they never respond to anything you send.

Anyhow, complaints aside, I'm throwing my big opinionated vote out for the Aria, mostly for vibe, originality, and being the underdog. But I wouldn't do it if you couldn't buy one and get covered locally. It's just not worth the stress in my mind.

10. I love the look or the IGB series Arias. Every review I've read shoots off words like "woody," and "organic" which are words I'm a big fan of.

I don't own one, because no one around these parts sells Aria, and Aria's customer service stinks. That webpage of theirs hasn't been updated in 4 years now, I mean, c'mon....They even beat Jackson, who adamently refuse to take Jenna Jamerson off the homepage *LOL*
    I've tried e-mails, but they never respond to anything you send.

Anyhow, complaints aside, I'm throwing my big opinionated vote out for the Aria, mostly for vibe, originality, and being the underdog. But I wouldn't do it if you couldn't buy one and get covered locally. It's just not worth the stress in my mind.

11. bojinx

bojinx

Jun 11, 2005
    I know the owner and employees at my local shop quite well, so I will definitely ask about Aria's service. I have no fear of them holding anything back. Thanks for the heads up on this issue Bg Man. I did notice that the Aria web page was a little old... but I didn't realize it was FOUR YEARS old.

12. I chose the Yamaha... why?

Well a Yamaha was nearly my frist bass, RBX770? When I tryed it it was comfortable, and sounded great- although at the time I though it was a little weighty in comparison to other basses. I went to the store to buy it next day- gone! My Beautiful green Yamaha was gone :crying:
    A Yamaha was nearly my Second/Third bass this time a TB404 AII, I think it was- I missed out on one on ebay by like $5 in the dying seconds of the auction. I say second thrid- because my Fender American Jazz was on order- but hadn't arrived yet. :p

Bassicly, Yamaha's are good value basses, they sound great are very well made and very comfortable, lend themself well to many styles... And they dont cost all that much really. I think they would make a great first bass for anyone. Well worth the money...

13. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Yamaha. Can't beat them for their price.

14. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I'd go with yamaha because they are great basses for the price. I haven't had a bad expderiance and the customer service is great
    sent them an e-mail and had a reply that night

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I voted for the G & L Tribute. I think it would be an excellent first bass and you will not need to upgrade for many moons.

The Tribute is very versatle, as are the American Made L-2000/2500's.

I played a used Tribute recently and was very impressed with the build quality.