First bass done!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Volk, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Well here it first bass!
    It's a rosewood fretboard on a hard rock maple neck and a black korina body. The finish is nitrocellulose and it has 2 single coil barts and a j-retro preamp.
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    looks nice, what's the thing under the neck?
  3. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Looks great! What kind of bridge did you use? Also, just out of curiousity, what parts of the build did you enjoy and do well with, and what parts were more difficult and less enjoyable? Can't wait to see your second!

PS Sound clips?
  4. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Under the neck is a piece of the fretboard I cut off that I used as a trussrod cover.

The bridge is a Schaller roller bass bridge.

My favorite part was probably the carving of the neck and body, although I did it by hand so it took forever I really felt like I had complete control over what was going on. The most difficult was definatly finishing...that nirtocellulose was a pain, and you can kinda see that I still couldn't get rid of some of that "orangle peel" effect from not quite spraying wet enough.

I'll get some soundclips as soon as I get used to a fretless, as this is the first I've owned...and only the third bass I've owned overall.
  5. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Nice looking bass!

6. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Very sweet! I love the black korina body!
    The fact that the edges have a small round-over makes this bass look very crisp.

7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Black Korina is really growing on me lately...
  8. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    looks great, lets hear some sounds clips of this bad boy! what was the total expense?
  9. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    yeah, i hate finishing, too.
  10. I really like the bass, not a huge fan of black korina, but i think this is definately an exception in my book.. The only thing I'm not diggin is that control plate.. it has to go! lol. Great bass man, the body looks great (shape-wise.)

Now, where's the matching P? :ninja:

11. u should make a new control plate out of wood it would fit better with the bass .
  12. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Well the control plate comes with the J-retro preamp, and I have no idea how to change it, and the cavity is on the top of the body so there has to be a control plate.
  13. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've been wondering if you can remove the plate, and mount the whole thing like you would pots on a bass without a control plate.
  14. Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Very nice bass! I would loose the wood covering the truss rod adjust. and install a pick-guard. All the interesting grain is not in that area anyway.:)
  15. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Gah, I've run into a problem....I've been trying to lower the action since it was pretty high and I can't seem to get it down without the strings clanging against the fretboard...especially at the 5th fret area.
  16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Sounds like you may need more neck relief. Check the bowing of the neck. If the truss rod was adjusted for a good relief when the action was high, you may have to back down on it a bit, since when the bridge is lowered, there is less bending moment on the neck, so now the trussrod may be overcompensating.
  17. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Yeah, it was that and that I cut the nutslots too high, everythings fine now, and I'll get some soundclips soon.
  18. im afraid that bass is illeagal. you know that law... the one with all the fancy words. but don't worry im so nice just send it to me and ill take care of it for you.but serriously, verry nice job
  19. Looks nice, not an original design but you manged to do something slightly different still.

20. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass

Me too. The bass looks great especially for a first one!!