Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first bass, essex info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hernan, Nov 26, 2003.

1. hernan

hernan

Apr 10, 2003
    almagro, argentina
    First of all, sorry for my english, not my natural language (i am from argentina).

Second, thanks for everything you post, i am a newby and i am learning a lot from you.

I am looking for a starter bass, things are very difficult around here, but i compiled the following list for the money i have:

yamaha rbx170
    squier affinity p-bass (china)
    ibanez soundgear gsr 200

was looking at them until yesterday....found a store with essex's ! , I read a lot of good comments on them and i really like'em but i found some models i did not heard before like:

sb 301 (passive, ibanez look and feel)

Have anyone knows about that one ?, where i could find info (specs) about discontinued essex models ?. Whats your recommendation given the list i have ?.....

Again, thanks a lot and congratulations for your day-by-day support to the community.:)

2. The Essex basses in the Essex Megathread are the ones that Rondo Music in NJ carry. I'm sure Kurt from Rondo Music doesn't carry every model of Essex Basses, just the ones he sells the most. I'm guessing most people wouldn't know much about the ones that aren't on the Rondo Music website unless they have done some research.

As for the other basses, the yamaha I have heard some good things about, good for starters. The Squiers are also good, but there are some which just suck ass. As for the Ibanez GSR200, I have one! It was my first bass and I still play it. IMO it's a great starter bass. The only thing I can't stand about it now are the pickups - their so weak - but of course I didn't worry about that when I first started playing, I just wanted to play!

I have an Essex BG205 now - 5 string, great bass, serves me well. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with an Essex as a starter bass, people always recommend them for starter basses and even experienced players buy them!

Good luck with your search and welcome to the low end.

Yours Truly,
    Tyler Hole

3. hernan, welcome to TB

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Essexes and Yamahas are cool, Squiers are just plain overpriced and crappy sounding. They also aren't nearly as reliable as an Essex.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    The GSR200 lasted me about a year, and is with Tyler Hole now. Holding up well. That or the essex man. Screw all the companies that are under, and owned by Fender. Fenders kick ass though ;).

6. just bught an essex spb-57. very nice, but im gonna replace the wiring and pups and strings, for a better sound. but the quality cant be beat for the price. :D

7. The Ox - I'ma go with SMASH on that. Yes I've heard of some people have horrible Squiers - but there are lemons and that's probably what they had!

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Several bad experiences from friends:

1. One had a Squier and the bridge wouldn't stay on. He replaced the bass with a Yamaha RBX170 and is very happy.

2. Another had a neck warp on him a few days after he bought it, he gave up bass.

3. One had a precision who's pickups were most likely incorrectly wired, as there was single coil hum when they should have hum-cancelling pickups.

4. Every one I have seen you can put your fingernail into the neck and it will cause a dent, similar to balsa wood. Also, most of them the tone knobs don't do anything except on or off.

For those who have squiers and like them, congradulations, you got a good one. It's just i've seen too many "lemons" that I would never be caught dead recommending one, or playing one.

EDIT: I would much rather recommend an Essex, as the only complaint I have heard about them is their frets wearing out, and that was on an SX guitar. Otherwise, i've heard no complaints about Essexes, as well as hearing they have avatar-grade customer support, something I haven't heard from Fender/Squier users.

9. Where did you get this info?

Ox, by your own admission you have never owned or played a squier affinity p-bass, so how on earth can you say anything about the bass either way?

You would serve yourself better by just not replying, regarding equipment you do not have experience with.

I've played bass for 35 years and I stay away from topics that I can not contribute to.

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I simply guessed about the pickups being wired incorrectly for the hum. I would've reversed one of them to see if that was in fact the problem, but he wouldn't let me.

And I guess you are right about shutting up, I just don't want people to get a lemon Squier (as I have seen so many) when they could get something that has a better reputation for higher quality control (from what i've heard).

I still tell people to take opinions on boards with a grain of salt, but if you get enough grains, you get a full salt shaker. ;) I guess the Squier company ships all the bad ones to Baltimore, MD? :confused:

11. hernan

hernan

Apr 10, 2003
    almagro, argentina
    ;) Thanks again for your replies and welcome messages...i knew you will help me on this.

I had the same experiences with squiers that you used to post .... i checked 4 and found 2 with poor termination (at least what i understand). As a newbie it is the first kind of gear you go for...like the strato for g*****s....you are pushed to go for a 'fender like' instrument.....but my intuitive experience (no knowledge...i am learning)....push me to feel more comfortable with instruments like the ibanez or the essex sb....I am a short person, no big hands, so i guess it will be easier to start with that kind of shape.

Will be tomorrow or next weekend at the musical store again....will let you know when done.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU PLAN TO BE AROUND HERE (ARGENTINA) SOMEDAY.....!:cool:

12. If you feel your going to have trouble with a full sized bass, but can handle a guitar easily, then you might want to try a shortscale bass. Just thought I'd throw that in there for ya.

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole

13. hernan

hernan

Apr 10, 2003
    almagro, argentina
    Oh no, I think I can handle a full size but i felt more comfortable with thin necks basses...i am probably using the wrong terminology but i mean that i felt better with 'flat and thin' necks ....

Thanks for the advice !, will take care of that

14. Oh, ok. I get what your saying now. I have both an Ibanez and Essex. My Essex neck is flatter/thinner than my Ibanez.

15. i have an essex-spb57 and i love it. its very sturdy and tough. quality build, at least with the wood.

16. hernan

hernan

Apr 10, 2003
    almagro, argentina
    Finaly i got an SX-SPB62...vintage finished (creme w/tortoiseshel)...i love it !!!, tone is supreme and it feels like a strong and very good quality instrument....never dream to find a chinese squier similar.....

thanks again to all of you....you help me made (i hope) a good decision :p

17. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Hey hernan.
    Felizidades con tu nuevo bajo, comprar un essex fue una buena decision.
    por cierto, tu Ingles es muy bueno. ;)

18. I haven't seen this color option at Rondo's web site, is it new?

19. hernan

hernan

Apr 10, 2003
    almagro, argentina
    Gracias danny !, tu español es fenomenal ;)

Hey, I did not see that color at rondo's neither, but i am in argentina so i will need to find out if it is a new one or an old one.....:confused:

away from that, it looks pretty similar than the spb's at rondo's....¿do you know who should i contact to find out about it ?, thanks !