Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Hackdotcom, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Hackdotcom

Hackdotcom

Aug 5, 2003
    minnesota
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of bass guitar i should get to begin with. if anyone could that would be great, thx.

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    A couple of suggestions:
    - Supply a little more detail about your requirements (type of music you're interested in playing,budget etc)
    - Post this in the "Basses" forum (Although I'm sure Mike would have some excellent suggestions)
    - Use the 'search' feature with keywords like "beginner", "first bass" etc.
    - Try everything you can in your price range and then get the one you like most :)

Welcome to TalkBass BTW :bassist:

3. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    unharmed said:
    "Try everything you can in your price range and then get the one you like most"

Also try several basses ABOVE your price range, see what feels good, what makes playing easier, etc. This may help you judge what characteristics are most important to you when settling on one in your price range.

And be mindful of the setup. A bad setup can mask what otherwise may be a nice bass.

Check out lots of basses, even several of the same model, since there will be more variation on the more cheaply-made basses and it could take some searching to find a "good one."

I've taught several beginners, if you'd like more thoughts pm me.