First Bass Ibanez GSR200...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NuBassist, Dec 25, 2003.

1. NuBassist

Dec 25, 2003
    I just got an Ibanez GSR200 about a week ago. I am a guitar player, and just wanted to start learning the bass for fun. Anyone's thoughts on this model, and maybe a new bass amp < $550 would be great...Thanks
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    i started on that model. Good starter bass but pretty bland pickups, not any super distinctive tones i.e. Pbass, MM, etc.

good construction, mine never needed adjustment other than lowering the action as i improved
  3. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Its a good bass, i wish my first bass was a gsr200

4. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    Peavey TNT, Yorkville XM200T combo, or Genz Benz ML200-210T combo. The Yorkville and Genz also come in 1X15 versions. I highly recommend a 2X10 since you're playing a 4-string, but that's just me.

All the combos I mentioned above are 200W. IMO the TNT has a grindy, aggressive tone (atleast the older ones do). Never played a Yorkville but hear good things about them. I got a Genz Benz ML 1X15 w/tweeter combo. I like it.

Peavey TNT----$450 at MF

Yorkville----$520 at MF

Genz Benz----like $630. Go to and you can find it cheaper. You could buy it there or get MF to price match.

Hope that helped. I know you're not a noob, but I can't stress enough that your first bass amp is alot more important than your first bass for purposes of having fun and keeping interest up.:bassist:
  5. Mmmmm...GSR200. My first bass :D Still have it, but fretless now ;) Great starter bass, good choice.
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    great bass man. it was my second (within my first year), and tyler hole now has it. it's built really really well for $200.
  7. Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I still have my GSR200. I put nylon tape wound strings on it for a variation in sound from my other basses. I think they feel great and are fun to play. Great choice for a first bass in my opinion.
  8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    What color did you get? That was my first bass. Jewel Blue :) Honestly I didn't know any better back then, so I can't say if it was a good or bad bass *lol* :) I didn't have a clue as to what the 3 knobs did and I used to set bass and treble full on my amp so.. *lol*

But I think its a great bass for the money. Except for some finish flaws around the pups, it seemed contructed well :)
  9. NuBassist

Dec 25, 2003
    Mine is Jewel Blue also...I also have no clue what the knobs do, although I play guitar too, my musical ear seems to be for $hit on string instruments, I really can't tell what good tone is, so I just play for rhythm and melody right now. But I definitely need to get a decent amp. My uncle is pushing me towards Ampeg SVT's. I am still a beginner on bass though, so all of your advice has been extremely appreciated.
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Definitely the Yorkville. Great amp and excellent price. They also have a "Even if you break it" warranty. :cool:

As for the Ibanez, haven't played one but if it feels good to play then it is probably a good bass for you.

11. Here is what the knobs do: Closest to neck - P Pickup volume, middle one - J pickup volume, closest to bridge - tone.
  12. funkymonkeyman

Aug 4, 2012
    I've been wondering about the knobs also...but my GSR200 has 4 knobs??
    Also my first base, also jewel it! Found it in excellent condition on CL for $65.
    Definitely need to lower the action though...
  13. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    The older GSR200s had 3 knobs; more recently, there are 4 - Volume neck pickup (split coil "P"), Volume bridge pickup (single coil), Tone, & Phat Boost, which iirc works as a bass boost.

GSR200 was my 1st bass. Great starter bass, very light weight, didn't have any issues with the neck/frets. Sometimes I wish I would've kept it as a beater bass. When I was just starting out, I'd played a bunch of basses, then after narrowing it down, brought a bass-playing acquaintance of mine who played those and helped me finalize my decision.
  14. bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I've got an old passive one I bought for my daughter years ago. Sweet bass, you could do far worse.
  15. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I've got the GRS200EX. It had active electronics. I took it out as the humbuckers are loud enough and have a better dynamic response without the (cheap) pre-amp. I had to optimize a few things, like the nut height and the adjustment range of the saddles with regard to the action. After having done this fine tuning, I've got a fantastic bass which plays like a $500 one. I really like the sound of the bridge pickup. The other at the neck position sounds a bit dull. About a month ago I modified the nut to accommodate fatter strings for BEAD tuning. This works fine. The humbuckers work great with the .130 B-string. I don't gig, but if I had to, I'd play that bass with pride. :bassist:
  16. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    They're excellent starter basses that can still be used as a backup when you've upgraded beyond it. I still have my old passive 3 knob version which I've modified with pickup blend and master volume controls and widened nut slots for BEAD strings.