Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Bass Influence

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SockMonkey, Dec 17, 2001.

1. SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Oct 26, 2001
    Irvine, CA
    Ive been playing bass seriously only for about 2 years now(4 on and off) and i was just wondering something, who or what made you start. Honestly
    (guards face from flying objects) Mark Hoppus is the reason i started playing bass, after hearing a copy of their demo and the song Carousel i wanted to know what exactly what played the intro. I had my friend teach it to me on his bass and after that i was hooked. Now i enjoy Wooten, Jaco, Duck Dunn and many other great bassists, i just thought it was funny that the guy everyone loves to hate was my first influence.

2. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    The first band that really got me interested in playing music was the Offspring. I had played guitar for about 8 years, and always jammed to Offspring cd's. Then, wanting to start a band, I picked up a bass and started learning Greg K's bass lines, and was hooked.

Now I'm into Justin Chancellor of Tool, and others as well.

But Greg K pretty much got me started.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    There are heaps of thread like this but mine are
    Cliff Burton, Jason Newstead and thats about all i can remember just sitting here thinkin about it

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Geddy Lee. Later on, guys like Jamerson and McCartney.

5. I decided that I wanted to play bass when I was about 14 years old. I thought Nikki Sixx and Motley Crue were the coolest thing on Earth. I didn't even know what the difference between a bass and a guitar was! :eek:

It's funny the things that have led us down the paths we have taken. I no longer listen to Motley Crue, but I still play bass every day.

6. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    ...suprisingly, considering my current jazz/fusion/prog influences, it was Mike Dirnt from Green Day. He was teh first bassist I can remember actually hearing on the radio. And he had some damn cool lines. It was after that that I knew I had to play bass.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My first big influence was in 1978 when I first heard Creedence Clearwater Revival's Cosmos Factory! Stu Cook was a great bassplayer. My Mom played that record over&over, I still have her original copy of it..

8. id have to say gene simmons from kiss when i was in kindergaten, but it was all for his look, i wasnt sure what he played, the 1st bass player that i liked for his playing was sting with the police around 1980
    when i was about 8

9. Roger Glover on 'Deep Purple in Rock' made me want to start, soon after I was influenced by Geddy Lee and John Paul Jones.

Nowadays I'm more infuenced by dancey stuff like Red Snapper, as the latest 'nu'-metal and pop is to my ears either formulatic or derivative.

10. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    My first influences were upright guys, like Ray Brown and Charles Mingus, and Ike Blanton. Then, i discovered Louis Johnson, Alphonso Johnson, Stanley Clarke, so on.

Originally, I wanted to be Stanley Banks (George Benson's bassist) too!

11. Traa Daniels of P.O.D. influence me into picking up the bass

12. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Stuart Zender!!
    First time i heard Too Young To Die i was hooked!!

13. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Les Claypool got me interested in bass.. Especially the Pork Soda cd.

14. I still don't know how the hell I got a copy of it in my hands at such a young and musically ignorant age, but my first influence has to be the intro to Mingus' "Better Get It in Yo Soul." That plus Fishbone and RHCP got me going in the electric direction. Stanley's version of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" grabbed me early on, too - Mingus influence everywhere!

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Steve Harris at first, Iron Maiden baby!!!

16. the first time I really noticed the bass was on hearing The Who's My Generation- (hey, a bass solo!) and also picking out the bass fills in the Rolling Stones' Start me up and Miss you, and the twin basslines in Lou Reed's Walk on the wild side- all of which I heard thanks to my big brother who always checked out classic rock from the 60's and 70's as well as the 80's.

but my main influence when I first got a bass was Simon Gallup of The Cure- all the stuff on the Cure In Orange live video (A forest, Piggy in the mirror, Charlotte sometimes etc.).

17. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Cliff Burton and John Paul Jones were my first big influences. But it wasn't until I heard "Symbolistic White Walls" by Matt Good Band that I decided to start playing.

18. jah wobble of public image ltd. because of his deep sound on the first two PiL albums, jean beauvoir of the plasmatics because of his great lines on beyond the valley of 1984, and horace panter because of the first two specials albums.

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Cliff Burton, Jason Newstead, Flea.

20. Nirvana released Nevermind when i was 8 or 9 years old, so it was my first favorite band. When i started to play bass at 15, i began to learn the lines of Kris Novoselic, sot that means that he was my first bass influence.

For the slap and pop, Les Claypool is my first and still my biggest influence. I felt down off my chair the first time i heard Sailing the seas of cheese.