Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First bass, looking for some input.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Propyro, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Well, i'll be buying my first bass some time soon, but i'm still in the process of choosing. Originaly was thinking of buying a Rickenbacker 4003 for the simple reason that i love that guitar and i've heard a lot of good things about Rickenbacker. Then i got slapped with a reality check (the $1700 price tag was a small factor to this). But now i'm opting for a bass starter pack to learn with, I haven't given up on the Rickenbacker though. Anyways i was looking around at some starter packs and i sort of narrowed it down to two basses. Squire P bass pack, and the Ibanez Jumpstart pack.

I've been leaning towards the Ibanez because from the few helpful reviews i've been able to find it seems like quite a decent quality entry level bass. The only things i've heard about it that aren't very good is the Amp, strings and patch cord it comes with are not that good.

The amp is small, and the strings and patch cord sucks. But i don't need a big amp, i have no intention of gigging and will only be playing in my room any ways. The strings ... thats not a big issue, $30 for a decent set of strings and thats fixed. Patch cord ... meh bit deal, i'll run this one into the ground and either get it repaired or replace it with a decent one.

What i wan't to know is if anyone knows anything about that Ibanez ... it's an IJBS190, i've been all over the net looking for good reviews and got limited results ... mainly just garbage like this. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, and i am open to suggestions for other bass's.

[/|\]

2. You most likely will not get much feed back on that Ibanez bass because they are sold in the starter packs. Not many beginners can right a review worth reading. They haven't played long enough to have a real feel for the bass.

Most everyone here knows I'm a Fender freak, but I still know that Squire is a hit and miss bass, some are good while others need help.

My vote is for the Squire, but heck, what do I know!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Treena has a good point- that's probably why the review you found was wasn't much help.

I'm not sure if it's the same bass, but www.bgra.net www.harmonycentral.com and www.activebass.com have reviews of a GSR190. The first review at activebass.com is similar to the one you found, but the others are a bit better.

hope it helps.

Bob

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Propyro,

A few years ago, I occurred to play an Ibanez SR (200 or 300, I don't remember). That was a true nightmare for me, tonewise and actionwise.

You talked about Rickenbacker. The street prices are way below the $1,700 which is probably the list price.

I got my current 4003, used but as new (5 months old), for only $950. You can even find some at lower prices. I'm tempted to suggest that you go that way. You won't regret.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
    JL

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would expect the build quality, fit & finish and tone of those two basses to be very similar.

I would recommed the Squire. If you can get it set up correctly, the overall feel of the bass is pretty much the same as any other Fender, on which many very nice basses are modeled.

As you become comfortable playing and try other basses and consider upgrading, the transition will be more comfortable.

I would also give the Squire the advantage in overall durability.

Should you have the need or desire to upgrade/replace or repair anything on the bass, the availability of items for the Squire is endless whereas the Ibanez would be somewhat limited.

6. Treena ... sometimes i wonder about myself ... that should have popped into my head when i was reading the reviews and when i toticed teh general lack of any maturity in them. the only good ones came mainly from people who said they were experienced musicians getting into bass...

as for harmony central, i've been there (that last link kinda explained it), very large and helpful site ... but theres nothing there about the bass i'm looking for. However i've never been to activebass.com, i'll have to take a look.

hmmm gsr190 ... odd it says it has 3 pickups, yet mentions it being included in the jumpstart packs ... probably from an older jumpstart pack because the one they're selling now has two pickups, a P and a J pickup.

Well Jean, the only place i can find anywhere near me that regularly carries Rickenbacker told me that they're $1700 after tax. keep in mind i live in Canada, our dollar is only somethign like 73 us cents at the moment. hmmm, but a used guitar ... well ... i could try looking around for one. The 4003 i saw in that store was used and had a $1200 price tag ... it also got bought the day after i saw it ... :( ... or theres that Chris Squire 4003 that they have in Bolton ... but thats $2400 ... i'm in no shape to go after that ...

[/|\]

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think in the most literal sense, it does, as the P PU is split and has two cases. Most would agree with your thought it having two, but that would be an honest beginner's view.

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had not realized you were talking CAD, sorry.

So, between the two basses you mentioned, I confirmed the Squier Affinity P-Bass gives good quality, regarding to its price. I had one for my students. The entry level Ibanez I played was awful. Maybe you could also have a look at the Cort Action Bass. It's approximately in the same price range, and I heard good things about it.

Cheers,
    JL

9. well i know the P pickups are split singlecoil pickups ... but the way i see it they function as one pick up, you can't have part of it working and the other turned off unless you do some interesting custom wireing ... which would kind of defeat their purpose. Oh well ... *points to sig* keep in mind i'm a guitar hack ... when it comes to finer knowledge of electronic components ... i suck.

Another reason why i was leaning towards the Ibanez was because it had the P and J pick up so i could have some greater variety in the way the instrumnet sounds. Though you did raise a good point with the parts availabiltiy for Squire. Plus in my area there aren't very many Ibanez dealers, infact i think theres just that one place that carries Rickenbacker :meh: . Man ... Brampton sucks.

[/|\]

10. Dont have much info for ya here Propyro cept that i live in Northern Ontario too...and i just bought a RIC not too long ago.
    I would judt like to give you some advice about that or some input rather just to help you if you decide to get a RIC down the road.

Dont buy one in Canada. L&M or Steve's or wherever IMO. Not that those stores are bad. But believe it or not you can save about 200 to 500$ if you were to order from someplace in the states and get to shipped here(Depending how our dollar is doing). Sounds strange but its true.
    I bought mine from www.ricpage.com and it was 990$ USA which was about 1240$ CAD at the time, ad 40$ fr shipping and 200$ for duties at the border for me as well. It came out to 1480$ i saved about 300$ from ordering here in Canada. Of course you must be careful cause of what finnish choices you get too might boost the price a little.
    Another good thing is Mike Parks at the Ricpage is very informative and helpful and they have great friendly service.
    Contact them when you are ready, chances are they will have what you want in stock rather than having to wait months for one to get made and shipped to L&M as they normally dont stock themselves which such things. :bassist:

11. L&M is exactaly where i was wheni saw that used ric for 1200, came with a case too ...

But what your saying B'Ace dosn't sound that far fetched. Usualy buying online can save you a bit, though thats a pretty good idea, i was thinking you were going to recomend me taking a drive to New York and go shopping ... (i live about 45 min north of Toronto)

/me visits ricpage.com
    OMG ... thats amazing ... i've never seen a blue 4003 before ... hmmm maybe I won't go for that "all black instrument" policy ... LOL ... that hall of shame is classic ... well thanks for the link, I'll have to keep that in mind when i think i'm ready for the Ric.

[/|\]

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    For the love of god, just get the Rick! I've had too many friends who got Squiers and hated them because they all sucked and likewise, gave up bass.

But if you don't want to shell out for a Rick, for a really good beginner bass, I would recommend any of the Washburns in the XB series. I own the discontinued XB-102, and it's an awesome little bass. Big comfy lower cutaway (full access to all 20 frets, unlike Fender's access 19 out of the 20), P/J pickups, good electronics, and a pickup selector switch. The newer ones are the XB-120s with dual humbuckers, but I imagine they are just as good. Washburn has excellent quality control (I have yet to have found a bad one), and their customer support is excellent as well. I highly recommend any of the Washburns.:bassist:

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Personally, I would stay away from the starter packs. You will be throwing your money away. When you decide to move up, you will get practically nothing back from your original purchase price.

Instead, find a reasonably priced used bass from a local shop (if possible). Play a few basses through a few different amps and see if anything feels right to you. Then check the classifieds here and prices on eBay to judge how good of a deal you are getting.

There are some great used basses out there that can be bought cheap and when you go to sell them, they will retain most if not all of their value.

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    big +1 to that! :bassist:

15. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My suggestion, go with an OLP.
    you will not regret it.
    it was my first bass and I still kept it for back up.
    You can find a used one for about 180 bucks and take it somewhere to have nicely setup and you'll be all set.
    They have great tone for cheap basses, plus, you'll see a lot of positive reviews on them and they look nice too.
    I'm actually selling mine if you're interested.

16. jieshi

jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    ESSEX ? YAMAHA LOWEND ? OLP? SQUIRE ? MIM ?
    These are the things running thru my mind right now :bassist: ;)

17. the whole reason i was looking at starter packs is because i'd be able to get a guitar and amp for less then if i went seperatly. Hmmm ... though i have heard some good things about the amp the squire comes with. no wait ... that comes with a frontman bass amp, the amp i've been told about was the rumble 15 ... :meh: i need a job again ...

[/|\]

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yea, frontmans suck alot. I don't know about the Rumble amps though. Just stay away from anything squier and frontman.

19. I was in a guitar shop playing around with a 4003 on a rumble 15, i thought it sounded pretty clean. The sales person said he was impressed with the little amp. He comes off as the honest type as well, so i have a pretty good feeling that he wasn't jsut trying to sell an amp.

[/|\]

20. jieshi

jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    if u want a good and cheap practice amp . go for the MICROBASS FROM PEAVEY . i swear by it ! and because i live in a small apartment . therefore i am still using it . and i love it still so much . i've compare my microbass with the CRATE practice amp and Fender . believe me . u wouldn't believe it when u compare the peavey with them BECAUSE IT IS ABSOLUTELY SO MUCH BETTER !