Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First bass (no, not baseball, and no, not THAT...)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Feb 24, 2001.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    After a year+ of playing my Ibanez GSR 200 I must say I really do like the thing. Despite my bitching and moaning about little things about it, I still haven't found a bass that feels or sounds "right" to me. After buying and returning a Stingray and playing countless other basses, I'm realizing that regardless of all the hype of "this bass sucks" and "this bass is better" and this that and the other thing, when it comes right down to it, what you like is what's right for you. Screw brand names and wood selection and where it's made, if you like it then you like it. While I am still on a conquest to find a bass I like better I'll always know I can go back to my good ole $400 "POS" Ibanez and be happy playing it, and I'm glad I finally realized it. I'm sure other people feel the same way too...

2. I feel the same about my $150 Squier. Most of the people at my school are anti Fender everything. Altho I think its time to replace it...its getting a tidbit more damaged each day.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'll second that.....:D

4. I still won't give up my Epiphone, I am actually going to put new pu's on it this week.....
    It is like an old friend.... I very rarely use it anymore, but did you ever go out and at about 2:00 A.M. you bump into an ex-girlfriend while leaving the bar? Well some things just have to be done for old time sake.....

5. Good for you Dude!

Does`nt matter how much you spend on this or that bass...bottom line if it does`nt feel "right" to you and you don`t play well with it....hey it aint worth jack!

I have an Ibanez GSR 190 ,I think it is the predecessor to the GSR 200.Man I love that ole cheap piece of junk!!lol It is my first bass and I am gonna keep it.

I have been playing my Ibanez EDC700 most of the time(I won it from guitartrader.com)I like it.But once in a while I pick up the ole "black beast" and it`s like seeing an old freind....

I know...pretty trite and maudlin for a guy who`s only been playing for like 8 months! lol

Cheers
    Usul

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    but did you ever go out and at about 2:00 A.M. you bump into an ex-girlfriend while leaving the bar? Well some things just have to be done for old time sake..... [/B][/QUOTE]

I think a few of us have been there!!!

Actually, I just got rid of my first bass. It was a Charvel (not sure of the model) with P/J pickups. I am now kicking myself for doing it. I VERY rarely played it anymore, so I figured I might as well send it down the road.

Now I miss having it around, even if all it really did any more was sit on a stand.

Later
    Ryan

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'll never get rid of any of my basses, including my 4 strings that i haven't played in 8 years. i'm a pack rat that way. :D

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I thought about it for a while.... But I guess I don't really miss my old basses that much. They were all cool ... but now I am into the new ones. Maybe I am just a heartless fek or something. hehe

Gone basses:

Eko (Umm don't remember... but funky and cool)
    Aria "Straycat"
    Norma Violin Bass
    Fender Musicmaster

Present:

Rogue Acoustic 5 string
    Peavey Milestone II
    Orlando Violin

9. btw... your house must be HUGE!!!!

like 20 4-stringers and 10 conklins!!! where do you keep all this stuf?!? :D

and where do you keep your key to the house?!!

10. and the first bass i played was my brother´s hurricane... which I, btw, am still looking for info on... ;)

and although I don´t _own_ it... I still have it.... and will never let it go!! :)

I think it´s from 1972.... it must be worth something... :D

11. i have the Ibanez GSR190, and i could never let that bass go. It's stilla good bass for the price, it feels alot better than alot of higher end basses i played. but on the other hand some ibanezes of the same model sometimes differ from the others, cause my friend has the same exact bass of mine but it feels like crap and couldnt make a good tone if it slapped it upside the head. and mine is runnin great

you paid $400 for GSR 200! geesh you got ripped.

and the GSR190 isnt the predecessror to the 200, they are both the same except for the natural finish headstock on the 190. all 190s just came with the jumpstart pack.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Another Ibanez GRS200. I swear they built an SR and forgot it was one. This is a great bass I got. It's funny, the rest I've seen and tried are firewood. Cept mine (and a few others apparently). I wouldn't trade it in for a million bucks! (Well, actually about 5,000 and I'd kiss it good bye, but that's beside the point)

13. jrthebassguy

I wuv my GSR190 too! :D :D :) :)

14. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga

actually i think it cost $200 for the bass (i got it as an early xmas present) and then i put emg's into it which was another $200, hence $400 total (is what i meant)