1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First bass Project...Exited!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DazzyPig, Jul 19, 2007.

1. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    Ok, it's not propper luthiery "as such" as i won't be making the body or the neck (buying of Warmoth). But everything will be put together or set up by myself (fingers crossed anyway).

It's going to be a Jaco inspired J bass, not after his sound, i like a far more punchy/slappy sound (and frets are nice too) but i always liked the look of his sunburst J with just the chrome control plate, very classy IMO.

So i'm basing it around a flamed maple top (alder body weighs 4lb 11oz) With a great burst on it, which looks gorgeous (from w/moth) and i'll be using a J bass neck from there aswell again, flamed maple, with an ebony f/board.

I am strongly considering using antiquity II J p'ups (in normal jazz config.)

and maybe an active EQ?

any suggestions for good tuners (not neccessarily the best, but pretty good?) People keep talking about hipshot tuners on this forum, what makes them so good?

Any other suggestions on parts or anything will be welcomed (i've done an ace design too, but don't know how to upload it :meh: )

This is my first project, so any suggestions and tips on the project itse;f are welcome aswell.

Won't be able to order from warmoth for another week tho as my money hasn't come through yet, Ooooooh can't wait!!:hyper:

2. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    MyJaco.

(Mine's the one on the left, obviously)

Compared to a Jaco Sig

3. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Have you consider USA custom guitars or even WD music. Me and my friends assembled several bass kit and both of us, prefer wd and usacg necks over warmoth....

4. if my eyes serve me correctly, the jaco's fretboard is a bit shorter than yours

5. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    yea, they are different sizes...weird. be careful with that.

but the bridges are different too, so i guess it works.

6. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    Warmoth necks have an extra fret extension over the body

7. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Yeah, they may have an extra fret but you'll have to customize your pickguard or buy a specific one from them.

My major complaints are,
    the neck's weight: warmoth are heavy, so if your body is light it may not be balance perfectly.

they are thick, i mean thick....

and the steel bars change the sound, some people said they sound clanquy compare to the wd and usacg all wood neck.

8. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    "yea, they are different sizes...weird. be careful with that.

but the bridges are different too, so i guess it works.
    "-uethanian

Yea, i don't want it to be a Jaco bass, just Jaco style... So yea, other parts will definately be used. Another reason for their "different sized-ness" is that i was using picture from warmoth's showcase catalogue online (was hard to get the neck to line up with the pocket so a bit of modification (proportion-wise) was made) but i tried as best i could to get it looking resonably good :D .

Are the badass/II/III bridges as good as people say they are? because i've heard good things about them on the forum. Are Schaller BML (the standard clover type's) good tuners?

I'm looking at active EQ systems at the moment what would everyone reccomend for a punchy slap-esque tone sometimes and a good solid heavy rock type tone for the rest of the time (maybe with a mellower tone as-well)...

And what are the cost of such systems? My wiring isn't so great so a pre-wired direct replacement would be preferred.

What would everyone think of the sound of an active EQ paired with Antiquity II J's or a standard 62 RI set?

9. any bridge, and any tuner works, but if you use a warmoth neck (heavy) you should get ultra light tuners, when it comes to preamps you sould go with audere

10. You'll want a preamp that is going to fit your jazz bass control plate, obviously, and there are several that are already prewired and ready to go. I'd say look at the Audere (seen here; he also has several diffent versions to choose from), the J-retro by John East (seen here), and maybe even a Sadowsy preamp (here), which you can get with or without their VTC (vintage tone control). Be prepared though, because those will all set you back quite a bit.

Kudos on the bass so far, looks like a winner to me. I really dig your taste.