1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First bass project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Metalmoore, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Metalmoore

Metalmoore

Nov 25, 2008
    To start i am sorry if this is the wrong place to post as i wasnt sure if it was here or the repair forum.

So i bought this Bass for £50 as it hard a large chip in the finish (wood is undamaged) on the back which you cant see from the front which was a saving of £100 which of course i am very happy for. I like the sound of it for playing some metal and decided i would take off this black finish on the body and headstock and put on my finish which is going to be a design created by a friend. So my questions are
    1. How would i remove the finish as it seems like a thick coat of plastic (1 or 2mm thick)
    2. How would i finish it? i was thinking of using spray paint as my friend is designing a full body decal-like thing for me and would most likely use stencils and spraypaint when ready.
    3. How would i remove the tuners so i could remove the finish there as it too will be redone

If any more information is required please ask as i would like to do this in the end of may/start of june as a summer project.

Thanks.

2. Hi Metalmoore,

1. It sounds like you have a polyurethane finish which will requier you to totally disassemble the bass and strip off the old finish with a strong paint stripper, like "Aircraft Stripper", it is a lot of work.

When you finish that, come back for question No.2 Good luck, don't get discouraged.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Search the forums here for Citrus Strip. There's a couple threads that talk about it.

It's way less toxic and potentially damaging to you, your environment and others around you.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Try to fill it in with superglue first. If you build up the layers you will create a very good patch and a buffing will allow only you and us to know that it is there.

5. Metalmoore

Metalmoore

Nov 25, 2008
    Just updating my project as i have read that nitromors will work. So i will be using this and also read up on how to use chemical strippers properly so no trouble there. So hopefully it works and won't be that much of a pain in the ass.
    BUT i am unsure what i should do once i have stripped it, my intentions is to use spraypaint to put a custom design on it then some sort of finish over it to protect it AND give it a nice glossy look. Thanks

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have a question on the poly finish stripping. My first body i did was black walnut. I used wood filler on the grain, then gave it a high gloss poly finish. Recently I decided the finish didn't look good, and the body was body was begging to be carved. I sand it with low grit (about 60) sandpaper, and am currently carving away at it in quite a few areas. The wood looks like it did before i put the finish on it, and i am going to refinish it with a wax type finish. Is there any reason this might fail because i didn't start with poly stripper, or would the carving and heavy sanding have taken care of that?