Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Bass recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Chancellor, May 1, 2002.

1. I am coming from the dark side, a former guitarist of sorts. But after playing bass I must admit that it is a far better instrument for me (big hands don't go well with little strings).

But anyway onto the point, I am willing to spend upto about £300 on a new bass but I have no idea of which are good, bad or ugly. Being a former Fender player I am inclined towards a Jazz Bass or the like. Could you please offer guidance?

Chancellor

2. What type of music are you planning to play? Fenders are usually a good over-all option.

Lisa

3. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    hmmm....
    how much is that in american dollars $$ ??

4. I plan to play good ol' rock and roll with a spot of the blues thrown in.

Chancellor

5. motherfunker

motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    I would have to go with one the Squier P-Bass, or the Ibanez SR405. Good Luck, Mate.

6. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    For $450 US (which is £300, no?) you could probably find a nice used G&L. My brother's friend has one and they definately have a nice vibe to em, kinda like what new Fenders wish they sound like. Theres a few different models from the past 20 or so years, but the L-2000, L-1000, L-1500, and El Toro are all great 4 string basses

Dave

7. I'd say a Fender P will do you pretty well for Rock and Jazz, but they also aren't really very versatile if you want to expand to Jazz later. I just picked up a MIM P for 350.00 US.

Lisa

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    MIM Fender P Bass, Sound Control in Glasgow are selling them for £329 - I'm guessing you're in blightey as you mentioned £s for your budget!Play a few though and find a good one that sounds and feels good to you!

I just got a MIM Fretless Jazz Bass for £379 to extend my range of basses- real nice!

The P-bass will be fine for rock and blues!

9. MIM Fender P

You could also perhaps get a used Ibanez SRX-500

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    General information-although the dollar is about 1.44 to the pound the actual way it works is more like 1 to 1 cos of tax and stuff. Suprisingly (sacasm)English made stuff is cheaper here but as this means Wal and other exotic stuff 300 quid dont go far.

Specific stuff-I say that for someone coming from the dark side with Fender preferences the bass for you is

a secondhand mim (mexican) Fender Jazz preferable in sunburst.

Reasons

if you want to sell it you take less of a hit
    Jazz basses are desirable you will sell it
    The J has a thinner neck all the better for wimpy guitarists (dont go sulky I have a Strat)
    The sunburst ones use slightly better woods

the sh factor takes it under £300 leaving you some cash to get an external preamp later (with some saving) should you wish to go active in any of the ways available (EMG J Retro Aguilar Sadowski Sans Amp)

As Mr Boom Boo(m) said try a load

hang on lets see where you are n UK

EDIT-fill in your profile

Coda in Luton/Stevenage often have sh Fenders at good prices

Soundsgreat in Manchester mail ordered a lefty mim jazz in good nick well within your budget

BAss centre and the Gallery in that London have a massive range of stuff (mainly high end though)

Give these and any others a ring and see what they have.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Then again, you could score a new Yamaha BB404 from Thomann.de. They sell them for 360e + around 20-30e for freight.