1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Bass recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Chancellor, May 1, 2002.

1. I am coming from the dark side, a former guitarist of sorts. But after playing bass I must admit that it is a far better instrument for me (big hands don't go well with little strings).

But anyway onto the point, I am willing to spend upto about £300 on a new bass but I have no idea of which are good, bad or ugly. Being a former Fender player I am inclined towards a Jazz Bass or the like. Could you please offer guidance?

Chancellor

2. What type of music are you planning to play? Fenders are usually a good over-all option.

Lisa

3. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    hmmm....
    how much is that in american dollars $$ ??

4. I plan to play good ol' rock and roll with a spot of the blues thrown in.

Chancellor

5. motherfunker

motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    I would have to go with one the Squier P-Bass, or the Ibanez SR405. Good Luck, Mate.

6. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    For $450 US (which is £300, no?) you could probably find a nice used G&L. My brother's friend has one and they definately have a nice vibe to em, kinda like what new Fenders wish they sound like. Theres a few different models from the past 20 or so years, but the L-2000, L-1000, L-1500, and El Toro are all great 4 string basses

Dave

7. I'd say a Fender P will do you pretty well for Rock and Jazz, but they also aren't really very versatile if you want to expand to Jazz later. I just picked up a MIM P for 350.00 US.

Lisa

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    MIM Fender P Bass, Sound Control in Glasgow are selling them for £329 - I'm guessing you're in blightey as you mentioned £s for your budget!Play a few though and find a good one that sounds and feels good to you!

I just got a MIM Fretless Jazz Bass for £379 to extend my range of basses- real nice!

The P-bass will be fine for rock and blues!

9. MIM Fender P

You could also perhaps get a used Ibanez SRX-500

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    General information-although the dollar is about 1.44 to the pound the actual way it works is more like 1 to 1 cos of tax and stuff. Suprisingly (sacasm)English made stuff is cheaper here but as this means Wal and other exotic stuff 300 quid dont go far.

Specific stuff-I say that for someone coming from the dark side with Fender preferences the bass for you is

a secondhand mim (mexican) Fender Jazz preferable in sunburst.

Reasons

if you want to sell it you take less of a hit
    Jazz basses are desirable you will sell it
    The J has a thinner neck all the better for wimpy guitarists (dont go sulky I have a Strat)
    The sunburst ones use slightly better woods

the sh factor takes it under £300 leaving you some cash to get an external preamp later (with some saving) should you wish to go active in any of the ways available (EMG J Retro Aguilar Sadowski Sans Amp)

As Mr Boom Boo(m) said try a load

hang on lets see where you are n UK

EDIT-fill in your profile

Coda in Luton/Stevenage often have sh Fenders at good prices

Soundsgreat in Manchester mail ordered a lefty mim jazz in good nick well within your budget

BAss centre and the Gallery in that London have a massive range of stuff (mainly high end though)

Give these and any others a ring and see what they have.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Then again, you could score a new Yamaha BB404 from Thomann.de. They sell them for 360e + around 20-30e for freight.