1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First bass rig question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Helaskold, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, I'm sure a pretty similar questions have been asked, but I've been scouring the internet for around 5 hours now and haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I apologize for starting a new thread. But, let's get to the question.

When it comes to guitar and drums, I have a pretty sizable rig/set but I know very little about bass rigs. But I finally have the means to purchase a rig of my own so I was looking at the Hartke LH500 head (500w@4ohms) and their 410XL cab (400w@8ohms). These are the ones I decided on after much reading and shopping around, because they seem to sound great and fit my budget.

Now, I can play guitar decently but when it comes to the math of it, I'm an idiot. Will the 4ohm, 500w head use the 8ohm, 400w cab to its maximum potential? And will the resulting volume be loud enough to have headroom in a black metal band?

The thing that killed my bass playing inspiration in high school was having ****** rigs that couldn't be heard over the guitarist/drummer. Now I'm a couple years older, have earned some money, and I want this rig to have enough power to hear over the worst conditions... a heavy-hitting drummer and a gearslut guitarist or 2. I don't want something that will just "do the job", but something that could actually be too loud if pushed.

Please help me! I'd really appreciate any input or experience here.

2. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    The rig you're suggesting might get loud enough, but it wont be excessively loud.
    The head will be putting out less than 500 watts at 8 ohms, so you'd get more power out of having a 4 ohm cab. Or two 8 ohm.

500 watts is enough, granted you have a good cab(s) that can really put it out.
    I don't know what your budged is, but if I were you I'd buy two HyDrive 115's and stack them.

3. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    The head would be putting out less than 500w@8ohms? I read that I would just run it as 4ohms even though the cab is 8ohms... right?

4. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I don't think the head has an impedance selector swich, which means that it automatically adjusts to the impedance of the cab. Either way, the head will put out less than 500 watts at 8 ohms.

5. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Okay... say I run the same head to a 400w@4ohm Eden EX410 cab. Would that be loud?

6. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Or perhaps a Marshall 600w@4ohm MBC410 cab.

7. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    The 600w cab would be better suited for the 500w head. But wattage rating doesn't mean much in regards to loudness. This depends on the effiency of the cab.
    A 4ohm cab will get the most out of the head, but it also means you can't add another cab later on. Get a really efficient cab and you wont need to add another one.

I'm not sure just how loud you want to be. I got pretty loud with my previous Ampeg SVT450 + 410hlf rig, but nowhere near as loud as I get with my current rig. The cab makes all the difference.

8. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I mean, I could always just A/B/Y switch to run to a second stack, right? I figure that this would be at least half of the power I'll ever need in my life. If I ever needed 1000w, I would probably be playing somewhere where they could just mic my rig. You know?

9. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I want to be loud enough to overpower the hardest-hitting drummer you know.

10. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I just found some Peavey Headliners... I would juuussttt barely be able to afford the LH500, with a Peavey 1600w 410 and 1000w 115, both 8ohms. Sounds almost ideal from what you have been telling me.

11. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Peavey makes great stuff.

Generally mixing 4x10's and 1x15's is a bad idea, but I see the 1x15 is rated for 500 watts, so you should be good.

12. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, so I've read... I have a Peavey 100w Valveking guitar head that is seriously one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. People I don't even know have said the same thing about it. Ultimate tone out of a relatively cheap head. So I trust Peavey at this point. Now it's just a question of getting a 410 + 210 or a 410 + 115. Which would you say?

13. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Or even 2 15s? THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS. Metal. Loud. I can get any 2 of them except 2 410s because I'm not rich.

14. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Matching cabs is always the best solution IMO.
    If you can't afford two 410's, get the two 15's.

15. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I suggest buying an 8 ohm cab to start with. I don't think you'll hear much difference between that and a 4 ohm cab. then, when your budget allows, you can add an identical 8 ohm cab and daisy chain it to the first one to make 4 ohms. Doubling the speaker surface is what is going to make you hear a volume difference, not the impedance of the cab. the Hartke is a fine choice. I'm more of a GK man myself when it comes to loud yet affordable. but the bottom line is- don't get too hung up on watts- just get a solid head that is in your budget (the LH500 is a good choice) and an 8 ohm 410. Go easy on the EQ (less is more). You should be fine.
    Then, when you're ready, add and identical cab. You'll be running at 4 ohms and using the full wattage of the head across a larger number of speakers and you'll be the force of nature you were hoping to be.
    good luck.

16. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Well, guys, I appreciate the advice. As it stands, today I'm planning on buying the 4ohm LH500 head (only aspect of this I was certain of from the beginning) as well as 2 of the Peavey Headliner 8ohm 115s. I'm gonna sleep on it and make a decision after work... so if anyone has anything to say about what I decided, please don't hesitate to leave a response.

Essen, thanks for the patience and for following up. Haha. I know these bass newbie questions probably get old. Also, thank you, packhowitzer, for the detailed response :) You both helped a lot.

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    2 matching 8 ohm cabs is te smart thing to do. 2 1x15's with 500 watts should be PLENTY LOUD. Good luck with it.

18. Keep in mind that those 115's won't be able to take as much power as the 410's in most cases before farting out. If you're looking for a loud rig, the most speaker area possible is the way to go. 810's has more speaker area then 215's.

19. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Ugghhh... every time I decide something, there's a new comment that makes me reconsider.

Hypothetically: Same speakers, same manufacturer, same quality. 2 1x15s or 1 4x10 and 1 2x10? For volume and cutting through.

20. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    yeah, you'll be getting half the power at twice the resistance. either use a 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs for FULL POWER!! then you will rock hard.