Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First bass....still have it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    what was your first bass?
    (for some of you it might be hard to remember;) )

do you guys still have ur first bass?

i still have mine...and i remember when i got it

Crate Beginner Bass...December 28th 2000

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Squier affinity p-bass. White. Put on a shell pickguard, and dropped in some bartolinis, too. Sounds pretty good now.

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Proud to say, I still have it.
    Squire Bullet Bass. Bought back in 1985 if I remember. Modified with Warmoth neck, Carvin PU and
    Schaller bridge. It's the one on the right.[​IMG]

4. yeah i still got mine it twas a squier affinity p-bass i put some symour duncans in but i still dont really like it that much:spit:

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey by-tor, is that a kubicki? how is that extended E? was it hard to get used to?

6. washburn xb-100. still have it.
    i defretted, stripped it, carved, sanded, stained, waxed, and put in some dimarzios. nice.

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    1987 Carvin V440T with the Kahler bass tremolo.

I sold it a few years ago and have regretted it ever since.

8. Yeah...still got my first bass...got it in, oh, id say December of 2002...good ole Ibanez GSR-200, got it sittin right here next to me too :D It says "hi" to all you other first basses. Im actually workin on getting a Fender Jazz V right now as my main bass, but good ole GSR-200 will be the backup ;) ~ Tyler

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yea, It's a Kubiki Ex-Factor. I love this bass.
    It takes about Two minutes to get used to the extension. Takes a flip of the thumb to release the capo and BAM, you've just detuned to D.
    I think this is one of the most original inventions to came along in long time for a bass.

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    yah.....it's my only bass. I was lucky, because as I was out shopping for the first, there was a bassist who was there, and he tried it out and told me it had surprisingly good tone for its price and all that.....I was instantly convinced that it was good, and I'm so glad everything worked out that way. I've promised myself I'll never sell it.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    My first bass was a '60s Epiphone. IIRC, I bought it sometime around 1970. It was before they started making Gibson clones. I gave it away.

12. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Mine was an Epiphone (Gibson) P Bass clone in black. It is looooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg gone.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Peavey T-40, 1981! Weighed about 45lbs! Don't miss it for a second:)

Rob

14. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Washburn XB-400. Got it the day afer Thanksgiving in '00. Still have it, don't play it, but REFUSE to sell it.

15. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    I got this in April of 72',hope to pass this on to my son or daughter.

16. Squier P/J bass

17. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    will you be my new daddy ?:bawl: my parents left me on the doorstep of elves,and i now have eaten the last one and need a new bass..oooops...i mean a new DaDa.I wish my dad would leave me a bass like this,all i am getting is an old lawnmower and a rake:( .My first bass was an Ibanez gsr200,i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread,i told everyone how great a bass it was,and for the money it was the best period.Until Mr Fender landed in my hands and i traded my Ibanez to my landlord for a overdue debt so fast the paint came off.:eek: now that i see how it is mistreated,i wish i still had it,it was a cool bass when it needed to be.and i wish i had it back,not to play,but just to put in a case and maybe give to my kid.IN CASE HE GOES CAMPING AND NEEDS A STARTER LOG.:spit: .NO i am kidding,i do plan on making him an offer,he bought an Ibanez sr400dx?,and now my old buddy collects dust,i visit it every now and again and set it up,wipe it down,and then play it,which reminds me why i sold it in the first place.but i still wouldnt mind her back home(so my fenders have someone to pick on:rolleyes: )

18. Hehe geezer, I got an Ibanez GSR-200 right now :p Aint a bad bass either, but I'm shootin for a Fender Jazz V :p But I think it and GSR will get along good, or else there will be some headstock bashing!!!!!!!!!!! (play fair now GSR) ~ Tyler

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I got my first bass 16 years ago in Brazil, so no.
    I miss it, though.:(

20. I traded an EV 664 mic and $100 for an old Fender P in '67. The original owner had two basses and gave me the most beat body fitted with the most worn neck. Of course I stripped the sunburst and finished the body with varathane. As it turns out, it's a '61 P with a '59 neck and electronics - not much value there for a collector.

The neck is unlike that of any other Fender I have played - unequalled. I still have and use this bass, and having played it for more than a quarter of a century, I have to say it's comfortable.

edit: a pic from the "pre-CBS" thread here: Old PBass