1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Bass! What can you tell me about her?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SweetEmotion, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SweetEmotion

SweetEmotion

Sep 27, 2017
    Hello! First post and first bass! I've been a guitar player for years and always had a small desire to get a bass. Today on Craigslist I found a bass that I instantly liked, and the price was cheap, so I picked it up!

I don't know anything about bass guitars, and I don't know much about this one, so I am hoping maybe someone more familiar can tell me anything about this! Where it was made, an actual year, quality, etc?

Before I post the pictures, I paid $100 for the thing. So far, I really enjoy it. It's heavy, so even if it's a POS, I am happy with what I paid for her. She looks wonderful.

The company name is "Series 10" and I "believe" its an 80s model, possibly a 'lawsuit' Fender. But I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!! There is no serial number or place of origin. Regardless, happy to be here and learn more about this beast of an instrument!

Pictures!!

3MTxuk7l.jpg

bbFK24Wl.jpg

4L44OFhl.jpg

K47XQBkl.jpg

NigelD, Jamie_Funk, Wisebass and 7 others like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Welcome to TB! Nice looking bass.

Bass amp on the shopping list? :)

3. SweetEmotion

SweetEmotion

Sep 27, 2017
    Not right now! He gave me a small Crate Amp to go with it!! I have to get semi decent before I can look at something nicer!!

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Nice colour.

The bridge look like one using on Toby deluxe IV bass.

p_tobydlx4-trs2.jpg

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Of course a Jazz clone, but if it plays pretty decent, you're good to go on the your trip into the deep end. :)

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

It's a fantastic jumping off point. Jazz basses (of which this is a copy) are super versatile, usually have fairly slim necks, and can be modded any number of ways including upgrading electronics if you decide to.

And an amp thrown in for a hundred bucks????

You did fine, my friend.

That one has a really cool, old-school, vibe too. I dig it.

Wisebass, Munjibunga and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. Series 10 and Bently were imported for St. Louis Music. Early models were made in Japan, later ones from Korea. The sold for 300.00 to 400.00 new and 100.00 is the average price today.
    Unless there's a date stamp hidden inside somewhere and it's unlikely there is the best guess is sometime in the mid 80's to early 90's when Japan was scaling down production and Korea was the new source of cheap guitars.

8. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Cedar Park, TX
    Congrats on the new bass!

The Japanese ones are pretty easy to spot- they bridges have big, square brass saddles.

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I've had a couple of Series 10's in the shop, one was a jazz with that exact same pickguard. pretty good quality, fair electronics, substantial weight. the neck on one of them warped a little and the truss rod apparently broke, so we replaced the neck with a Carvin bolt-on. And, yes, the big natural brass bridges!
    Pretty solid instruments, great modding platform!

Wisebass likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

welcome! and congratulations on your first NBD! :thumbsup:

11. It's got tort, so how bad could it be? :thumbsup:. Basses are heavy. If it's 10 pounds or less that's normal. I'm struggling to identify the body wood. It could be heavy ash, which would explain the weight. If the truss rod works and there's no issues with the neck you're good to go. Tip #1, you're going to be wanting to fret notes with the flat pads of your fingertips, not the fingertips themselves.

12. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    As said above these were a St Louis Music item, manufactured ovrseas. In the early 90's I ran a mom & pop music shop and sold a ton of their guitars and basses. They sounded pretty good, held up well and were overall a pretty great instrument for the price. As I remember, a J style bass like that was tagged at $229 on my wall. Thy are quite a bit nicer than anything in the same price range. Nice score.

NigelD likes this.
  13. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Better than my first bass! :D

Not shabby at all. Some of the 80s and 90s Asian-made stuff was pretty solid.

14. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    looks good to me! welcome to TB

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I like it! I'd rather have that than a squier since it's less common (not that squiers aren't awesome, of course).

16. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I don't see how that could be a laminate body, with a clear finish and those belly and arm cuts you'd see the layers of laminate clearly. It doesn't have that look to me.

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Welcome, guitar player (I play guitar, too, for over 45 years, now).

First off, that's a he, not a she. I believe there is a sticky around here somewhere that explains the difference for those new to such kinds of identification. :woot:

A Jazz Bass style instrument is a good, versatile one to start with; my first bass was a late '60s Jazz Bass I got in 1971. Is it set up well? Try some different types/brands/models of strings, over time, as they can make a big difference in the feel. playability, and tone of the bass.

18. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Anyway it's a cool looking bass, I'd rock that.

19. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    It pretty much doesn't matter what the name on the headstock is.... being made in Japan or Korea generally means it'll be a decent instrument and for $100 with an amp it's a bargain.

ajkula66 likes this.
  20. Congrats on the first bass and welcome to Talk Bass. Looks like a copy of some sorts of a Jazz bass, I agree I love the body color too and the tort of course seems to always look good one almost everything. Should be a perfect bass for someone who is just starting out.