First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tsolo, Feb 4, 2004.

1. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    What was the first bass you owned? Maybe I should say learned with. Mine was a cremona from EBay. Sold it quick. Any other bites?
  2. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    1940 kay c-1. did my graduation (college) recital on it.
  3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Old Bohemian that was full of old cracks but sounded great. The quickest bow response of any bass I've ever played.
  4. kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    First bass was a Fender P. Bass that I bought new in 1962 for $180. First DB was a 7/8 Chinese that sounded huge, but the top was caving in. The store took it back on trade.
  5. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    First DB was a 1920's Horsteiner Laminate (I miss that one).
    First Electric was 70's Sears Black Jazz bass copy.
  6. The first bass I owned was an unlabelled carved bass that was made in Brazil around 1955, sold to me by a former teacher who often travelled there. I thought it was a nice-sounding bass, but I was young and unknowledgable, and I soon discovered that the dimensions, woods, construction, setup, etc were all wrong, and most agreed that I had been thoroughly ripped off (if only TalkBass had been around in 1981!).

The worst part is that shortly after that, another former teacher was selling off some basses quickly in anticipation of a move to Oslo, and I could have had a nice carved Bohemian bass with a C-extension for just a little more than I paid for the Brazilian BSO. I think it might have altered my career choice if I had bought the German bass instead. The Butterfly Effect, eh?

The Brazilian bass was effectively turned into a marimba a couple of years later in an altercation between a car I was driving and a large silver maple tree. I saw no point in putting more money into repairing it, I made a failed attempt at cannibalizing the neck (which remained intact), fingerboard, etc to make an EUB. All that remains is the fingerboard and scroll, which ornaments my desk.
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    A Christopher 103T ply I bought myself for X-Mas.
  8. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Merry Christmas
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    White fiberglass POS back in High School, with a setup like the Brooklyn Bridge. Amazing that i stuck with DB after that one. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  10. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    I was wishing i would never had to talk about his again :crying:
    At 15 i had an electric bass, a Gibson one, like BB King's Lucille, 1 year later i sold it for something like $150 ( 1 year later i met a guy talking how lucky he was because he had bought a bass from a friend, which had only paid $150 for this bass, like he said, they stole an idiot.....i was the idiot...)
    At 17, after a year working on weekends, selling my moms pies, i bought a huge 4/4 German 40's solid bass, it looked like a tree, hard to play,now i realized it was a great bass, ..... :crying:
    So i sold it for nothing and got myself a plywood piece of s...!
    Well, not the best beginning, but at least, im proud that it was the beginning of a musicians life, not rich , but im so happy that all my bread comes from my bass.....sorry for the nostalgy guys.

11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    A Lidl Czech laminate bass. When I first got it, I didn't know dookie about basses, and the salesman told me it had a carved top. Years later, when I learned that I had been ripped off by misrepresentation, I took that bass back (still in good shape) and told the owner what had happened. They were actually good enough to take a trade towards a Warwick thumb bass...I had already replaced the Lidl with a Wilfer, so fortunately it all worked out. :D
  12. petermarmo

Jan 17, 2004
    I got my first bass yesterday! It's a 3/4 german flatback. Not exactly the prettiest thing in the world but it sounds good.

The guy I bought it from says he thinks it's about 50-70 yrs. old. The only identifying mark is a label that reads (in English) "Copy of Antonius Stadivarius, Made in Germany".

I realize this isn't a lot of info, but does anyone have any ideas about the origins of this bass?
  13. My first bass, and the one I still use, is a chineese 3/4 from ebay (I know what you are thinking). Suprisingly, it has turned out great. After a few minor adjustments and a couple of years, my plywood bass has turned out to have fairly good tone. At my last lesson my teacher even commented on how good the sound was. it's still not ideal, but ,until I have more money, it will have to do.
    My first electric is also the same bass I still use. It's an ovation solid body ultra bass. It works but man I could really use some money. :meh:
  14. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    A newish German laminated bass, labeled "Antonio Stradivarius", my high school chum had lifted in the middle of the night from a nearby Catholic school. Fortunately, my mother worked at town hall and was able to point the police in the right direction without me having to rat him out...soon after I got a new Juzek carved from Metropolitan Music in NYC. I think it was $400...
  15. My first bass was an H.N. White King. This was back in the late 1950s and the price paid was $125.00. For some reason $125.00 was the standard price (around here anyway) for all Kays and King basses up until about 1970.
  16. DB-...1947 (Kay) Craftsman M1 ...I started DB in 1998. It still sits in the "dining room converted to bass room". Use to haul it in a single cab pickup with neck out the rear sliding window. (Yea, I'm a redneck)
    EB-...a Sears Harmony, Red&Black, no case and one of those curly chords. Must of been 1986 or so. I carried the catalog cut in my pocket for a month before I bucked enough bales of straw to order this one. Its long gone.
  17. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    My first was the carved top/ply back gamba 3/4 imported from Romania. I put a good deal of time into the set up of that bass, and it played better than any other bass that I have owned. Doesn't have a 1/10th of the sound of my current bass. It got me through many a solo recital in college though. I think I paid around $2500.00 for that bass with a Kolstein bag. I ended up selling it to a student. I made sure it went to a good home.

Brian Gencarelli
  18. A German laminated bass bought with my paper route money!
  19. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    This turned into an interesting thread. I started it cause I was hacked at those that knock what others can afford (and there are plenty of them so no one get offended. I'm not singling anyone out). Now that I've had time to reflect, I remember what my first bass was.

A '60 something VOX short scale electric - my nephew still has it somewhere.

My first upright was a recent 4 years ago. An American Standard. Had damn nice volume and tone - really bad neck. I got tired of putting money in it so I sold it so someone else could fix it up.