first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cole, Feb 11, 2001.

1. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    I've got three questions for everyone:

1. what was your first bass?
    2. do you still have it?
    3. if not, do you wish you still had it?

okay, I'll go first:

1. '95 Fender MIM Jazz Bass.
    2. no, sold it to help finance the purchase of the Carvin which I recently traded for a Fender P-bass. I'm happy with what I have now.
    3. no--that thing was a dog. noisy, no tone (or maybe that was the crappy amp I had to use), really freakin' heavy, and it had an awful cream-colored finish. I've got a Fernandes jazz bass copy, which is a lot better than the Fender ever was. (I'm not slagging off all MIM Fenders, just reinforcing the fact that mine was awful)

I realize we've probably gone through this topic before, but I was wondering if anyone else is GLAD they don't have their first bass anymore.
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ibanez TR70. It's not that bad. It actually had really nice tone. It had some minor problems with the electronics and a tuning machine, but otherwise, it's held up real well.

I still have it. I don't really play it much. I mostly play my Carvin BB75 fretless. I can't play that old one because I don't like playing with frets anymore, and I don't like having only 4 strings.

JT, is this how it gets started? I went to 5 strings, now I can't touch a 4. If I go to 6, what's going to become of my 5. Help!
  3. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    1) Hohner PJ Bass
    2) No, given to my younger brother
    3) Yes and no. No because it's a crappy axe bad neck, bad sound, heavy. Yes because it was my first so I'm kind of attached to it. But I still play with it from time to time when I'm visiting my brother.
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    1) Squier PBass
    2) Sadly, yes
    3) No.. cuz its a POS hehe ^^;
  5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    1.Washburn XB100.OK bass for its price range.

2.Yup.Actually,it's my only bass so far.Still haven't got the money for that Corvette...

3.WHEN I buy another bass,I intend to keep this one.Anyway I'll probably get a 5-string,so I'd like to have a 4-string too,the wider string spacing will fit better for some slapping now and then I guess...although I'm not sure whether I'll be able to stand the tone anymore,having got used to a far superb bass.I'll only sell if I can't find money for my next bass in any other way,so it shall be sacrifised!
  6. techtone

Jan 7, 2001
    1. A Hamer 4-string made in Korea
    2. Yes, it's a fretless now:),
    3. but I don't use it that much anymore. just playing around with it from time to time!
  7. slammer by hammer i do believe it was called, actually sounded half decent sold it towards what i have now, and i think this is the first time i thouoght of it, i'm not a ver y material person, i only care about sound not material :)
  8. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    1. Yamaha rbx5

2. yep, still doing me good

can't wait to get my curbow fretless in though

9. Mine was a black "Series A" short scale: utterly awful. You guys think rogues are bad! But I loved it at the time. Got it in 1986, traded it in 1988 for a Peavey Patriot. I don't wish I still had it at all.
  10. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    1. what was your first bass? Mid 70's Rick 4003 Burgundyglo.

2. do you still have it? Wheeled & dealed for a MM Stingray
    that met with an "unfortunate" end :( .

3. if not, do you wish you still had it? Nahh.
    I would like to get back a Rick natural 4080/12 though :rolleyes: .
  11. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    First bass I ever played was a Fender (not the current Squire copy) Musicman - short scale, single guitar-style pickup, it was so old and messed up that I had to retune it after each song - it sounded awful, but it's what I started on.

First bass the I've ever owned: Hamer Blitz Jazz Bass. Overall, I really love this bass, though the fretwork isn't the best. There's also that annoying "Slammer" logo on the headstock.

Still own it, it's my only bass (though not because I can't afford a better one - I'm just having trouble making up my mind about what I want to get).
  12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Oops, come to think of it now, my first bass was actually a "rodeo" that my grandma dug out of her attic. It was horrid and there wasn't anything you could actually do with it. Tuning was out of the question, the strings were some very odd gauge. I don't really know what happened to it, I think it may have decomposed in my room or something, who knows

13. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    1. what was your first bass?
    <BIG>Vox Mark IV</BIG>
    2. do you still have it?
    3. if not, do you wish you still had it?
    <BIG>Not on your life!</BIG>
  14. Dano DC
    Yup, but its currently a frettless
    Yeah, its a great bass now, very unique.
  15. '67 Gibson EBO
    nope traded it for a Hagstrom HB901
    glad it's gone it played and sounded like doodoo, wish I still had the Hagstrom bass though.
  16. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    squire II p-bass. no. no way, good riddance!!
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    1. Fender Music Man

2. No I dont have it

3. Yes I wish I still had it, It wasnt that great of a bass, but my parents got it for me as a gift and dad put alotta work into it after I had it for awhile by refinishing it. Sentimental reasons that I wish I still had it
  18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    1: It was a Kondo. a brazilian-made jazz bass copy with open pole-piece humbuckers, Gotoh-like tuners and a Schaller like bridge, except there were no rollers. That was 1987. My first american-bought bass was an Ibanez Roadstar II.

2: No, I haven't got either. I do have my third bass, an Ibanez RD808LE, which is the bass I tradedfor the Ibanez. A step back, in hindsight.

3: I'd love to still have both the Kondo and the Ibanez, but I'm sure I will find a similar Roadstar someday (2+2 headstock, Rickenbacker-like shape and a gorgeous blue flame maple top)
    The Kondo Jazz sorta lives on in my Jazz Jass copy which has similar specs, except better quality hardware and a 5-string neck and Bart pickups and preamp.

Will C.:cool:
  19. hey spacegoat, you got your first bass the year i was born. hahahaha
  20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    1. <b>What was your first bass?</b>
    Fender '91 MIM Jazz in White. I modified it with a BadAss II, pearl pickguarg & EMG's & it kicked butt.

2. <b>Do you still have it?</b>

3. <b>If not, do you wish you still had it?</b>
    Nope. I try not to think about basses I've sold. Thaere are so many that if I did, I would get depression. LOL. :)

P.S. Fender & Music Man are 2 different things. :) I thimk its' a Fender Musicmaster or something like that. If a MusicMan was your first bass, I'd love to see your second. ;)