Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Terike, May 15, 2005.

1. Terike

Terike

May 15, 2005
    Well, I'll start off by saying Hello to everyone, this seems like a great community.

Anyway, I started playing Orchestral Bass about 1 year ago, I'm not bad really. But my friends got me wanting to start bass guitar.

The only problem is, I have no idea what kind of bass to get. I have around $250 saved, but don't know what to look for.
    Some of those packages with an Amp / Gig Bag / Tuner / DVD / picks look good, But is the bass crappy because of the low prices? But, I don't have an amp or anything so..

If anyone could suggest a decent starter bass or a package for around $250 I would much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

-Terike

2. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
  3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you need the amp, there's no reason not to get the Ibanez bass Jampack. I've had many friends start on them years ago, and they're still playing those exact basses today. Good instruments, the amp is fair but will be upgraded eventually anyway.

If not go for an SX and a used Behringer combo.

4. Don't forget the Yammies...I just picked up a sweet deal on an inexpensive RBX170...a very nice bass for the price...I needed something inexpensive to round out my stable since my P-bass is still in America :(

5. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Look at different packaged deals. See which one suits you the best and buy it. You want to have an amp to jam with other musicians. You'll get a tuner, which helps alot if you don't have a keyboard (or know how to work one for that matter). The better you get the more motivated you'll be upgrade. You'll be surprised how you will grow on any bass you buy.

6. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    get the Washburn XB100 pack! nice bass...i got a special amp at my local music store tho so i'm not sure about the standard mainstream one. but the bass is quite reliable (it actually dropped about 4 feet onto tile when my cheap strap gave out and it was not affected at all!) the case is quite durable even though it is heavy but it will protect your baby rain or shine!

pm me if you have any questions :)

7. +1 for Yamahas. I have the 270 model, but I liked every Yamaha I've set my hands on. Affordable, reliable, adaptable, I've hardly put mine down since I bought it.