Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Capt. America, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Capt. America

Capt. America

Jun 29, 2005
    I have been wanting to get into double bass, and have been looking for one, but I dont know how good the makers are. I just see so many and I cant tell what is what. If some of you could tell me a good all around bass that would help alot. I dont want a crappy beginner bass either, so if you could just give me the names of some makers you can have my thanks.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Before anyone else tells you, Read the Newbie links and you'll gather much info. Also, what is your price range? What style of music do you play or intend to play?

3. Capt. America

Capt. America

Jun 29, 2005
    I have already looked all over this site. There is too much info, and I dont know whats good whats bad. My max price is probobly $4000. And I will play all types of music.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    In that price range you should look at the Christophers, Shens, Upton's, New Standard's. I'm sure there are some that I'm not listing. There's also one in the for sale area from Toronto that you may want to look at (if it's still available).

5. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Personally, I like Derrek Lee at First base. One of the best defensive first basemen around. Albert Pujols is a great hitter and coming along nicely defensively. There are other very strong First Bases, however. Mark Texeira of the Rangers is great, Tino Martinez has always been good. Nick Johnson of the Nationals is playing extremely well this season, as is Lyle Overbay of the Brewers. But I still say Lee is the best.

Wait...B-A-S-S...drat. Sorry. I'm kind of in Baseball mode right now.

My first bass is/was a 2004 Roderich Paesold bass. And I love it to death. It's brand spanking new and for all intents and purposes, sounds like it's been played on for at least 10-20 years. I managed to pay around $6500 for it and haven't looked back.

Obviously, everything depends on what you want the instrument for (jazz, Classical, Bluegrass, Rockabilly, etc...) and price (that's the big one).

Best of luck!

6. Fred has given you what you seek. Take those names(Christopher Shen New Standard) and read their threads in the newbie links.