Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Bass...

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Pastorius43, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Well, I got my first Double Bass about two days ago. I've just been doing major scales pizzed. It came with a bow and rosin, and i was wondering how much rosin to put on? HOw tight is the bow supposed to be also? When I tried bowing earlier it sounded powdery...i thought it was from my technique but i wasnt sure?

Thanks,
    Andrew.

2. Powdery..interesting description. Maybe your teacher could show you some arco technique?

3. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    How much tension and rosin? Short answer is...it depends. As you develope, you will eventually figure out what works best for you. Here are my suggestions as a starting point.

Tighten the bow to the point where it requires a fair amount of effort to make the hair touch the bow while pressing against the strings in the middle of the bow while holding the bow with a proper grip.

To rosin place the bow on a corner of the cake and take 2 continuous swipes from frog to tip. You should see marks in the rosin from the hair running across. If not, try again with more pressure.

4. I won't have one until after this week:meh:

5. Thanks man:)