Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Len, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Len

Len

Nov 2, 2001
    UK, Southport
    Hi ppl!
    This is my first time here, and I was wondering if any of you could give me a little advice. I want to spend around $350 for my first bass guitar, and I was thinking of a Fender-Squire P-bass special - is this is a good choice or is the Squire jazz base better?
    I already own a Squire electric guitar, and a Marshall amp - (it isnt very good, only 30W), and this is probably a stupid question, but do you definately need a seperate amp for the bass or will it work on the one i already have??
    Cheers guys

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If you have been quoted that price in Dollars for a Squier you are either not US based or need to find another shop.

I would recommend the Mim (Mexico built) Fender Jazz or Precision. Try to get one secondhand in a shop and check their warranty policy on sh stuff before you buy it.

The biggest differences are better wood (poplar and lets not start that one) instead of ply and better pu's/electrics. I am not dissing Squiers (I had a Strat) but at that price I think you can do better>

Re guitar amps 30w doesnt make it bad I use a 15w guitar amp and it rocks. The problem is that you want a low gain channel and Marshalls arnt noted for their clean sounds. IF (IF again) you play your bass through your guitar amp at very low levels (like alone in your bedroom/basement/shed you will be ok. WARNING bass guitars can easily wreck guiatr amp speakers. So be careful.

Save up for a bassamp ASAP if bass is for you. Go straight for 100-150w (some say 300w).