First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El_Bunto, Aug 17, 2002.

1. i was just wonderin what everyones first bass they owned/played and how much it cost em. My first i played was a squier affinity P-Bass and then i went out and bought it for £160. cheers
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Ibanez blazer brand new £136 Jan 1981
  3. "Nov 96" Squier P bass, non Affinity, made in Korea.
  4. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Epiphone ebm4, 420Euro, march 1998
  5. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Samick beginner's bass ~$200
  6. Some Japanese Jazz copy (no name on it), possibly a Raven. Bought for $75 CAD in 1969/70 time frame, (so US and CAD were about the same), when I switched from guitar to bass. Played it until I got my Gibson EB-0 in 1974.

I can't even remember what I did with it - I think I sold it for $50. It was originally a burst colour, and I painted it white to contrast the black pickguard.

The only known pic of this bass - 1972, my band "Draught" playing Alice Cooper's "Eighteen" in a play about coming of age. Unfortunately all I have is the old news clipping photo. You can sort of see the bass (and me) behind the singer..
  7. blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    A late 70's Aria Explorer copy.It was heavy as hell but it had a unique sound.But when a friend decided to sell his '76 4001 it was bye-bye Aria.
  8. My first bass was a Westfield p-bass copy, sunburst with white pickguard, man it sucked. Moved onto a Fender MIA Jazz which I love to bits.
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    some black/red/natural sunburst "Sears Special" my Grandfather rescued from the trash. It had a piece of plexyglass repairing the broke pickguard and would stay in tune for almost a whole song. I played it for 6 months till I my Dad saw I was sticking to it and he bought my an Ibanez Destroyer, CAR w/rosewood board and a P-bass pickup... man was it the coolest thing for a Metal Head in the early 80's :)
  10. a second hand Hondo P-Bass
    +- 70$

11. Danelectro Hodad-$200 bucks
  12. Second-hand Cort Artisan C4
    Has some minor problems with the neck
    but I still use it, and still love it;)
  13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mine was an Ibanez RoadStar 2, 2nd hand.
    Very nice Pbass copy.
    It has been modified beyond any recognition.
  14. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Squier P Bass 1/1/2000
  15. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    Squier Afinnity P-Bass....Christmas 2000
  16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    72 Gibson SG guitar with the high E and B string removed (the bass player quit, so I took over). :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Got a 73 Fender Telecaster (Bass) the next week. ;)
  17. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    My VERY first bass was a really wierd one, I had never heard of it before I got it.

It was a Conrad Jazz bass. VERY similar features to a Fender J, so I dunno if they just used it as a copy of what.

The pickups didnt work, and were old as hell. Had a HUGE Metal Pickup Cover. It never worked, and all the wireing like Melted into the wood of the bass.

My First WORKING bass however was a 97 Squier Affinity.
  18. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Used Hohner Rockwood P styler. Bought it with a practice amp for 100 bucks. Not a speck of real wood on the thing,, EVERYTHING was painted black!