First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El_Bunto, Aug 17, 2002.

1. i was just wonderin what everyones first bass they owned/played and how much it cost em. My first i played was a squier affinity P-Bass and then i went out and bought it for £160. cheers

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ibanez blazer brand new £136 Jan 1981

3. "Nov 96" Squier P bass, non Affinity, made in Korea.

4. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Epiphone ebm4, 420Euro, march 1998

5. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Samick beginner's bass ~$200

6. Some Japanese Jazz copy (no name on it), possibly a Raven. Bought for $75 CAD in 1969/70 time frame, (so US and CAD were about the same), when I switched from guitar to bass. Played it until I got my Gibson EB-0 in 1974.

I can't even remember what I did with it - I think I sold it for $50. It was originally a burst colour, and I painted it white to contrast the black pickguard.

The only known pic of this bass - 1972, my band "Draught" playing Alice Cooper's "Eighteen" in a play about coming of age. Unfortunately all I have is the old news clipping photo. You can sort of see the bass (and me) behind the singer..

7. blindman

blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    Stow,Oh.
    A late 70's Aria Explorer copy.It was heavy as hell but it had a unique sound.But when a friend decided to sell his '76 4001 it was bye-bye Aria.

8. My first bass was a Westfield p-bass copy, sunburst with white pickguard, man it sucked. Moved onto a Fender MIA Jazz which I love to bits.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    some black/red/natural sunburst "Sears Special" my Grandfather rescued from the trash. It had a piece of plexyglass repairing the broke pickguard and would stay in tune for almost a whole song. I played it for 6 months till I my Dad saw I was sticking to it and he bought my an Ibanez Destroyer, CAR w/rosewood board and a P-bass pickup... man was it the coolest thing for a Metal Head in the early 80's :)

10. a second hand Hondo P-Bass
    +- 70$

Peace
    Bassmanjr

11. Danelectro Hodad-$200 bucks

12. Second-hand Cort Artisan C4
    Has some minor problems with the neck
    but I still use it, and still love it;)

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Mine was an Ibanez RoadStar 2, 2nd hand.
    Very nice Pbass copy.
    It has been modified beyond any recognition.
    [​IMG]

14. black p-bass

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Squier P Bass 1/1/2000

16. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Squier Afinnity P-Bass....Christmas 2000

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    72 Gibson SG guitar with the high E and B string removed (the bass player quit, so I took over). :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Got a 73 Fender Telecaster (Bass) the next week. ;)

18. Squier Affinity P-Bass

19. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    My VERY first bass was a really wierd one, I had never heard of it before I got it.

It was a Conrad Jazz bass. VERY similar features to a Fender J, so I dunno if they just used it as a copy of what.

The pickups didnt work, and were old as hell. Had a HUGE Metal Pickup Cover. It never worked, and all the wireing like Melted into the wood of the bass.

My First WORKING bass however was a 97 Squier Affinity.

20. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Used Hohner Rockwood P styler. Bought it with a practice amp for 100 bucks. Not a speck of real wood on the thing,, EVERYTHING was painted black!