Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by only4him012, Nov 16, 2002.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    around $500 range bass guitar,
    i practiced for 3month,
    will be playing in church band,
    what would you recommend for the first bass so i can fall in love with it?

2. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Well Fender Jazz basses usually cut through the mix very nicely. you can buy a Mexican made one which is nice but you could most likely find a used American one for around $500-600.
    Good luck

3. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    Anything but Squires.. The Fender J-bass would be a good investment.

4. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    Actually, a Squire would be good for beginners.. Never mind.

5. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    Essex or Squire is not a bad idea because after three months I don't think you can be sure it's going to be a long term thing. And in a magazine I read called Guitar Buyer they said they would gig with a Squire so I think they should be decent. They gave it a 7/10 for sound which is resonable for the price.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    MTD Kingston

7. mt10125

mt10125

Nov 15, 2002
    West Virginia
    Ive been playing bass for a few months now and there are two basses I would recommend. I have an Ibanez GSR 200. I love it. It costs a little over $200 on musiciansfriend.com . Now if you want something more expensive I reccomend a Fender jazz bass. Both are great but the fender is a little heavier.

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Some recommendations: a Fender Standard Precision or Jazz Bass, MTD Kingston, Yamaha BB604; all are within your price range.

9. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    thanks for advices.
    how about....which do you wish was your first bass?

10. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I've been playing about 18 months and I'm still using the first bass I got, a Fender MIM Jazz. I'm really happy with my decision, although I wish I had bought a better amp than the little 15w amp I started out with. Didn't keep that amp for very long before moving onto a bigger and more powerful amp. Anyway, the Jazz is pretty versatile and very comfortable to play. I don't see myself ever getting rid of this bass. Even after I buy a higher end bass, I still will keep it as a backup.

11. It's a versatile bass with a thin neck. It's an excellent starting point. If you keep at it, over your career you will fall in love with many instruments. Fender's a great place to start.

12. If you get a Fender, get the MIM Jazz Deluxe, it has active pickups. I would NOT get a Squire.

MTD Kingston. You could also wait for an MTD Beast to pop up on eBay. I have a 5-string of this one and just sold a 4. Just a great bass.

You might also try to get a used Tobias Renegade (might be a little tough in the price range) or Growler. There's usually a couple out there on eBay. Note - make sure it has the Bartolini pickups. That way, you can be sure it was US made. The newer Tobias' are called Toby and Toby Pro and are Korean made and definitely not as nice.

I'll also throw in my 2 cents and say Carvin LB70 - it;s a bit above your range, but it's US made and you have a lot of options available.

13. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Another vote for A Fender J, altho I havent played very many types of basses.

14. i got the BEST first bass ever. a lot of people may overlook this, but for a first bass, the peavey milestone III is the best. put a set of light strings on it, and you can play anything.

15. New? Ibanez SRX505 (did well in recent Bass Player magazine review)

-Or- MTD Kingston, lots of people rave about them.

Used? Look at the various bass sites that carry used stuff -

bassgear.com
    bassnw
    basscentral
    ebay

But remember, there is no substitute for a test drive.... play as many basses as you can before making a decision!!

16. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Fender Jazz. Excellent bass, great tone very versatile.

Squire - particularly their Jazz or P-Special.

Essex - P or J

Yamaha is always a good choice.

Have fun!