Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibapunk, Dec 11, 2000.

1. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    I want to start playing the bass and was wondering what a good starting bass would be?

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thats debateable depending on who you ask. I recommend a MIM Fender or a Squier P-bass special. However there are lots others that are good basses whether it be starting or that you plan to use for ever. thats all

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Cheaper models of Fender (maybe Squier) and Yamaha are always treated as good first basses (Made in Mexico Fenders probably one of the more popular "first basses" - I went that road as well, never regretted it).
    Then there's Ibanez... well, around half of the members here hate 'em, the other half loves 'em.
    Cheaper Washburns, Arias and Epiphones are okay too. There's also inexpensive Kramer, Steinberger and Tobias "Toby" basses to be bought online from http://www.musicyo.com (although I don't know much about these basses).

There are myriads of, I mean TONS of, even cheaper Fender clones I'd personally not recommend, although I've come across a couple of VERY inexpensive basses that were a joy to play! Can't expect them to hold forever though.

Just remember: Samick's a no-no. I have only played pretty Samicks - I've never, say NEVER, played a GOOD Samick. :(

Choosing a bass that suits one well could be a real horror, no matter how much experience you have with the instrument... take your time, play all the basses you can find in your price range (or if you can't play, just fool around a bit). Buy the one that feels and sounds best to you. You'll probably going to trade it for a better bass after a few years or so anyway... :)

What more can I say... oh, welcome to the jungle! Ask more questions! That's the only way you'll get answers. :)