First big performance!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Suckbird, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Okay so here's the deal, i've been playing for about 1,5year and never really been in a band.
    Our first playing (with my friends) was just in front of my class (20pupils) and after that we played at our schools talent hunt (120pupils) and we won so now we're going to compete against the other winners from other schools in a big event on saturday.

We're playing our own version of basket case (in the key of C).
    The guitarist just follow the roots while i do alot of improvising and the drummer improvise a bit aswell.

Anyway, there will be about 1000 teenagers there and i'm SOO FREAKIN' NERVOUS!! :bag:

What do you do when your nervous?

we can still cancel but people thinks we can have a chance, and if they would play without me and win then i would feel like the BIGGEST looser in the world!

I'm already shaking, i probably wont have a sleep tonight!
  2. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Consider yourself very lucky. Most people in life never have the opportunity to play in a band in front of a large crowd. You will remember this night for the rest of your life. Make sure you have a friend there that will take a lot of'll want to show your kids or grandkids someday.

In the meantime, have a lot of fun. If there's a spotlight, you don't have to worry about seeing the'll be blinded to all but maybe a few people in the front rows. Everyone else will just look like dark shadows. Pretend like you're playing in your practice room and remember that hardly anyone (even the judges maybe) will not know if you make a mistake, of course unless you guys stop playing or something.

When I was 16, I played in front of about 2500 people at our school's talent show. We didn't win that year, but came back and won the following year. It was a lot of fun!

Lastly, try to have some kind of backup in case any of your equipment goes down...cables, strings, etc.
  3. DO NOT cancel!!! You may never get this chance again.

Being nervous is natural, and it probably won't get any better until you are actually out there, on stage playing. Trust me, once you get going, the nerves will calm down and you will just perform. Doesn't matter if you win or lose, just have fun with it.

And also - make a post as soon as you get home after the gig - you will be feeling so good!!!
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I make those fart sounds by pumping my arm with my other hand cupped under my armpit.
  5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Y'know, about 25 years ago, my band played a gig at a NAMTO convention (National Association of Mini-Truck Owners, not to be confused with NAMBLA, the North American Man-Boy Love Association). There were about 1,200 people there, and we weren't that great, but boy, those hosers were DRUNK! So to them, we were the best band they ever heard. Better than Skynyrd, even. But what's that saying?
  6. Just have fun with it, thats the main thing. If you don't enjoy performing, you're in the wrong line of work anyway. Nervous is understandable, but just be confident... you know you can play, these people came to hear you play, so just play a song like you've probably done 1,000 times before. You'll feel 100% better after the first one, when everyone is cheering for you!
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:
  7. Just remember that everybody watching you is JEALOUS of you and your talent.

Just remember that, and you'll be fine...

Or picture everybody in their knickers wearing red and green propeller beanies and you'll be laughing to yourself throughout the whole song.
  8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I used to be very nervous when i do something in front of the class in school but suddenly i realized that they dont give a **** what i have to say.

Right now i'm not nervous but it's still about 25hours until we'll play.

Also now i realized that there's nothing to nervous about, i know i wont play wrong or something and if i would no one would hear it(sorry, but it's true).

The thing that makes me nervous is the guitarist..
    the guitarist is really bad on jumping straight into something so if he would play wrong then he could possible just play wrong for the rest of the track, he has done it when we have practiced :D .

Now i'm really excited to play! :bassist:
  9. Psychdave

Apr 4, 2005
    Valencia, CA
    Take a big breath, tell yourself you are excited not nervous and just count the first song off.. the first note is the hardest, once you hit it.. it will all be good. Telling your self you are excited (which you are!) really helps with the butterflys. Everybody gets them, the only way to "control" them is just to get out there and do it.... Don't look at the crowd as you plug in, look down until you hit the first note, pretend it's a practice, play TO the drummer. It will get better. Then get your self a book on relaxation techniques, the breathing excercise will help your singing too, teaches you where the diaphragm is!

Good luck! Have fun! :D

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I first started playing in front of groups, I'd start with my back to the audience and blow bubblegum until I had gotten established into the groove. Then I'd turn around as if "I'd arrived"... :meh: yeah, pretty cheesy back then...still chew bubble gum to this day, though.

Seriously, all the comments posted are good...we've been where you are. Try to relax and hit "the pocket" as soon as possible...the groove is home for us bassists, and the faster you go home, the more confident you'll be. ENJOY!!!
  11. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    You have to be able to communicate on stage - so if the guitarist gets off - you have to quickly get him back on track. If you hear him off - go over and tell him where you are in the song.

Good luck and have a ton of FUN.
  12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I'm back from the gig!! :bassist:

It was really funny, i was not nervous at all until 10mins before we performed.

I think we played pretty good except our drummer messed up a bit and people sad our singer was singing false :D

We came on 6/12 but i'm more than happy with that!

I met a guitarist who i talked to alot and we jammed a bit, i thought he was 20 or something and had played his whole life but he was just 15 and had played for 1 year!! :help:
    It showed up he's playing with 1 of the best guitarist i've ever seen and a great drummer etc...
    He said he was going to play with his band in the pause at this evening next year and wondered if i could play bass with them!
    I gladly said yes and he's going to talk with me on msn about practicing..
    they already have a bassist but maybe this is some kind of invitation to his band?

I cant belive i even thought about cancel the gig...

:hyper: :hyper: :D
  13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Especially mine, right?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    some good, some funny...yours is in there someplace...gotta find it though :bag: