First budget amp (small wattage)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blackrose47, Feb 14, 2014.

1. blackrose47

blackrose47

May 23, 2013
    Hello! I own an Ibanez GSR-100 and a very little Ibanez DAG-1 (its just 3W and it's a guitar amp) and I wanna move to a real bass amp which is loud enough for home practice and some small gigs. I'm not part of a band and probably not gonna be any time soon, and when I sometimes play with some friends it's just 2 guitars and a bass, and maybe a piano, but no drums and no big stage, so I don't need a lot of power.

Therefore, here are my options:
    Fender Rumble 30 - 30W / 10"
    Ampeg BA-108 - 25 W / 8"
    Orange PIX25BX - 30 W / 8"
    Artec B60 - 60W RMS / 12" with 3" tweeter.

Which one would suit me best? I don't care about how many tones I can get. My aim is slapping the low E or a Drop C tuning without popping, buzzing or crackling.

2. The ampeg BA-108 is a sweet sounding little amp. I love the tone I get out of it. It works great when jamming with guitars and vocals but if you add drums, you'll end up having to push it too hard. IMHO

3. Register_To_Disable

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I agree, the Ampeg is a great little amp with lots of usable volume but if you think you might run out of gas jamming, get a BA-110.

5. Doctor_K

Doctor_K

Dec 30, 2013
    Western NY
    I just bought a Rumble 30, they are down to $130, and first impressions are good.

6. What is your budget? Remember to look for used gear too!

7. blackrose47

blackrose47

May 23, 2013
    My budget is 250$ at most...but prices vary from US to my country (Romania)

8. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2013
    south Louisiana
    I have no idea about the used music gear market in Romania, but here you can get higher quality gear 1/2 the price of buying new. Certain brands are "built like a tank," and can be bought used with reasonable confidence. Peavey makes good entry level gear that is indestructible. New Peavey Max 110 and 112 are under $250 US.

The new Peavey's are more powerful than the amps you mention. They are small gig able. I started on a used $100 Peavey Basic 112. It has a very good shaping pre amp with its low mid and high mid knobs-- I just went and slapped on it (not my normal thing) and yes, it sounds good, great little amp 50 watts rms into an 8 ohm 12 speaker.

good luck,
    fnord!

9. The Ampeg BA-108 gets a lot of respect here on TB - and if you could swing the extra coin for the Ampeg BA-110 it would be even sweeter.

10. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    you should check out the Fender Bronco......40 W 10" speaker, built in tuner, lots of different model tones built in, lots of effects, included modelling software, lots of other features.....gets plenty loud

11. +1 Agree that the Bronco 40 is one very versatile small bass amp that sounds HUGE and sure is a whole lot of fun to play through.

The Fender Rumble 30 is an excellent choice in it's price range. New Fender Rumble 40 will soon be out to replace it.