1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First build 4 string NT

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Subrage, May 27, 2012.

1. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    After a few years of wanting to do a build, I've finally took the plunge and picked up some things I've needed to make sawdust. We'll see how this goes...

7 pc neck walnut red heart and maple
    5 pc wings walnut red heart and non-book matched spaulted maple
    Ebony fretboard
    Black hardware
    Using SDG luthier pickups out of my schecter (passive mode)
    1.5 in at the nut
    2.25 bridge spacing

Here is my design. I have to go get it printed out, but wanted some input as to anything I should change first before I get it printed.

Attached Files:

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Cosmetically, I don't care for hooks on horns. For comments on the functionality, I'd need to know where you're planning on putting the strap buttons and how you want it to hang.

3. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    I was just going for something different with the hooks. Figured it's a first build anyways we'll see how it works.

I was originally thinking of putting the strap buttons on the underside of the back ledge above the bridge. But I think it would bind even with my strap that comes down to a 3/4 inch strip for the end. So it will probably go just above the bridge on the back heel. The front button would be on the tip of the front horn.

4. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    I made a template of the original design and I didn't like the hooks after all; So I traced one of my bass's that I like and made made a new template.

Also ditched using the red heart.

image-262596963.jpg

Ripped the neck laminates and wing laminates

image-2939227992.jpg

Gluing the neck, those blue clamps from harbor freight rock. The black and orange ones are trash.

image-1229405183.jpg

Chambering the center core of the body, also cut the control cavity.

image-2601953923.jpg

Rough cut of all the body parts.

image-279785245.jpg

Side profile after the center was smoothed out.

image-12589039.jpg

Had see what it was going to look like...

image-2268369557.jpg

Glued the maple and the center together using the back to not put dimples in the maple.

image-3960832183.jpg

After flush trimming the maple.

image-1813382081.jpg

So far it's been a productive week. I've got the back piece of walnut being glued up right now, but didn't take a picture. If I get some free time this weekend going to flush trim the back and sand the edges.

5. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    image-3183008850.jpg

Flush trimmed the back, then did a 1/2" round over. I'm trying to decide if I want to go 3/4" round over on the body. For a more round look.

Thoughts?

I applied tung oil on the spaulted to help stabilize the wood when doing my round over; not sure if it helped, but I had no tear out!

6. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    Well... Ive been busy, messed up a neck so I had to start over on the neck. But been chugging away. It is definatly a learning process, but any future ones should go much faster.

Heres where it sits right now, I need to thin the neck more since it a little too chunky.

Attached Files:

7. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    4 coats of Formbly's Tung oil.

Was in a rush to take pictures this morning so the back one is kinda blurry.

Attached Files:

8. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I'm guessing your other bass is a Stiletto?

I like the design, and your work seems to be of high quality, especially given that it's your first build. I'm guessing you have had prior woodworking experience, no?

I am using redheart/chakte-koke in my current build (which is #4 for me). It's nice stuff, and you don't see it very often. Too bad it smells like warm, wet feces when you work it.

9. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    Yup! I love my stiletto, plays nice and fast.

Thanks for the kind words... This is my 2nd real project, aside from making subwoofer enclosures. 1st was a set of tower speakers.

Good luck on your current build!