1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Build, Design Opinions.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Simo98, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Hey Guys,

Im currently working on my first build (will probably start a build thread soon) but im still in the design stages at the moment.

I was going to go with a Jaguar bass shape, but i like the old faithful P bass shape, so i decided to put together a hybrid. Gives me something a bit different, but with the comfort of the shape i know and love.

Heres the Photoshop mockup i put together:

[​IMG]

Im going to wire both P pickups both straight into the jack, no tone or volume pots, partly because im curious as to how it would sound, partly because its my first build and i want it to be relativly simple.

Im not too sure about the shape of the pickguard shape yet, the top edge is a bit strange.

The top will be stained wood, the sides and back will likely be painted black.

Likes? Dislikes? any ideas that could make this better?

Can't wait to put it together, machining the timber on monday :D

2. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    How about NOT having a pick guard at all?

3. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Well i was planning to have it front routed, so that would be rather difficult without a pickguard.

however since there are not pots it wouldn't be too hard to drill a hole from the pickup cavitiys to the jack plate.

Food for thought..

4. were the jack plate is looks to skinny IMO, should follow the curve of the body a little more