First Build: Matao 4 string. blue to natural. BEAD

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DevinWard369, Apr 30, 2012.

1. DevinWard369

DevinWard369

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    I got this bass from a friend for 60$ it had two strings on it and he was more than fine with letting it go. Its a Matao bass, From my research I've learned that the last production year of them was in 1983 so what ever year this guy was made its still older than me (25). I owned it for a day and decided I wanted to strip it down and stain whatever wood was under the stickers and blue.
    I didnt expect the wood underneath to have a good pattern on it at all so i was very pleased, I didnt want to put the regular pickguard back on so I went to home depot and bought the thinnest piece of wood they had so I could custom cut one out. I was also very pleased with how my custom wooden pickguard turned out.
    the electronics are still the stock ones, I would like to upgrade them someday but I like that its passive and not active its a change up from my Warwick so thats always fun to have variety.
    I stringed it BEAD So Ive named her bead. :hyper:
    I also put on new knobs, and hopefully someday get some new tuners on her the current ones are really loose and I have to tune after every song I play. :help:
    all in all my first build I feel was a huge success especially since I had no clue at all what I was doing.
    Sorry all the pics are horrible, im no photographer.
    Also if you look through all the photo's when I took apart the pickups I found a matchbook half, for Cigars, King Edward Cigars, its a cool find and i'm going to frame it.
    Here is a link to the photobucket of all the pictures I took along the way. so please tell me how dumb I am and what things I did wrong please be brutally honest so the next build will be that much better!
    http://photobucket.com/mataobasscustom1

IMGP9403.jpg

IMGP9525.jpg

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021