First build... Maybe

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chris1125, Oct 16, 2011.

1. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I've always wanted a ric, but I can't afford one and copies are hard to find. Compared to some basses, it doesn't look like it would be the hardest build in the world. My questions:
    -would it be legal to do a ric "inspired" bass only for my pleasure with no intention of selling it
    -if it is, where do I find a lifesize ric body drawing to work out of? I obviousely don't have a ric to refer to.

2. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Bump?

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Well..unless you have the skills and tools to build a bass already, you definitely won't save money by building one instead of buying. It will almost certainly cost more. That said, I think it is more rewarding to build than buy.

Legally, I believe that you can build it as long as you don't intend to sell it. TB user johnk has built several Rickenbacker inspired basses, and if my memory is correct, Rickenbacker had no problem with him building them for personal use.

4. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I do have some woodworking skills, I don't have any specialalized equipment but I was thinking since it has square edged and a pickguard routing wouldn't be that big of a deal. My biggest concern would be the "neck through" part. I was thinking if I created a neck that is a bolt on in disguise I could make the neck seperately. I could just make a neck plate for it. Also, I'd like it to be fretless so that's not a problem. How necessary is the truss rod in a bass neck?

5. With Rics retailing at $1,700+ I can assure you he can build one for less $$. Now whether or not it will be a comparable instrument is entirely up to his skills.

Legally you can build whatever you want for yourself. I, like you, love the Ric aesthetic. Most rock 'n roll looking bass ever, IMO. That's exactly why I built my own borrowing some of my favorite aspects of the Ric design.

6. Put a truss rod in. You won't regret it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021