1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

*First Build* P Bass Neck on a Jazz Body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jpalir, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    Okay I am on to my first build...pray!!!...Would anyone have any negatives on putting a P Neck on J Body? I have heard some people love this because of the P neck being wider than the J Neck. I love the Jazz body. Think it dominates the P.

2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Mark Hoppus might like that idea!

3. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    I was sure it had been done before...with that said here it goes

Here is the neck...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540196&highlight

Here is the body...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537824&highlight=

1. Looks like I am going to leave the neck pretty much untouched

2. Strip the body down and take a look at the wood

3. Then decide if I want to shoot it with a solid color or stain the wood and clear coat it.

4. Of course upgrade the pickups with barts or kent armstrongs

5. Mabye change the pre amp out and replace the bridge...

I can get wholesale so I am good on the price ranges...

Any positive or negative feedback? Objections? Comments?

I am all ears!

I should have the neck and body sometime next week...will continue to add photos along the way

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Its a lot of work to strip and refinish the body, and pretty costly too, if you go with nitro lacquer. I don't think you'll need grain filler with alder, so that'll make it a little easier.

The neck should look great on that body. Hopefully the neck pocket is the perfect size for the neck (2 1/2 inches wide at the end of the neck). If too tight, you'll have to rout the neck pocket slightly. Be careful on that job. Make sure the depth adjustment is tightened securely, otherwise, your bit depth could "wander" and you don't want that.

The other part is drilling the new neck holes (if necessary). You probably won't get lucky enough for the holes on the neck and body to line up, so you'll need to drill new holes. You should plug the old holes with wooden dowel if you have to drill new. And you need to make sure the neck is on there straight in relation to the bridge. I use an E and G string installed and just tight enough to provide a good, straight line down both edges of the neck to make sure of good alignment. Maybe someone has an easier sure-fire way to do it.

Its not all that hard. Just take your time. And thanks again!

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My primary basses are Jazz Basses with P Necks. Works great IMO.:D

6. my Warmoth is the same way, the skinny Jazz neck gives my palm cramps!

7. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Do you mean just rough up the surface of the existing finish and then spray over it? That could work, but the existing finish is probably poly of some sort. Spraying lacquer over it may work just fine, or it may make the lacquer crack over time. Maybe it would be OK if you used a primer first. I don't know. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge will chime in.

8. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I think the OP might mean just sand through the poly, which is possible but is a complete SOB to do and takes forever.

You can, however, "rough up" the poly finish and over-coat it quite easily. I did this with a Lake Placid Blue refinish on a strat last year and it worked fine.

9. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    P necks rule!i hate j necks

10. I like P necks on any kind of body.

11. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    Front and Back Body...Sanded with 80 grit, then 220 then 320 to finish. I think it wend over pretty well. Just took 4 hours! It is very smooth. I should have it in the shop for a paint job next week. Thinking about going with grey.

12. So you decided your going to lacquer over the roughed up Poly?

13. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    Ok I got the neck in today. The holes did not line up perfect. Does anyone have any pointers on plugging the holes so I can fit the body to the neck?

14. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    +1!

I can't play those necks.

15. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Is there a hobby shop in your area? One that deals in model airplanes and such? You can buy pre-made dowel in probably the correct size from a place like that, maybe even a well-stocked hardware store. Or, you could whittle your own, but that's more work. Make sure of a snug fit, and cut to length and glue them with Titebond or Elmer's Carpenter glue. You wouldn't need much glue. Probably just give the dowel a good coating of glue, insert the dowel, and let the excess glue squeeze out, then wipe off the excess glue with a damp rag. That's what I would do anyway. Make sure the the dowels fit perfectly flush with the bottom of the heel.

16. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I can picture it....
    I like thick NECKS and I can't deny...

17. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    Busker...After I have that done to I need to go over the spots with any feeler?

18. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    A feeler? You mean to make sure the dowels are flush? Your finger moving over the dowel ends should tell you the story.

19. Do Not...DO NOT... drill too deeply. Measure your drill bit depth, mark with tape. You don't want dowls sticking up out of your fretboard. (smile)

20. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    Yes, Thanks! Very cheap to do I just picked up the supplies for a total of $2.76. It is drying right now.

*Busker I just sent you a PM. I am not really sure what is going on with the tuners on that neck.