Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Build Project "SUB-Lime"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pgurns, Feb 18, 2005.

1. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    OK after months of reading and buying tools I am finally ready to start the first attempt at a bass. It will be a neck through design with ash wings and a flame top. It's gonna be a lime kinda color with black hardware. Here are some pics of the neck woods (mahogany, maple, and walnut) before and after I cut them. The laminates in the pic are just not sized yet. I just layed them next to each other to get an idea of how they will look when glued up.

Here is a pic of the color I want. Can you have dyes tinted to match a color?

2. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Here it is. the very beginning :)

3. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The problem with using a computer screen to pick colors for real objects is that images on the screen project their own light instead of reflected light. The more intense you want the color, the more light you add. Add all the colors and you get white.

Dyes work by absorbing and reflecting light, so adding colors together absorbs more light, reflects less, and generally makes things darker. Add 'em all together and you (theoretically) get black.

Check out what StewMac calls "bright green" on maple:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishi...centrated_Liquid_Stains/Pictures.html#details

I'm not sayin' you can't come close. You might wanna look into fluorescent pigments, which actually shoot out new photons as others are absorbed. I'm not sure if they're ever used to dye wood, but it'd be something to look in to.

4. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Cool thanks for the info. I know they used this color on the Dodge Neons and some other Chrysler products. i wonder if I could get the color formula and get something matched that way. either way it gives me something to think about, good thing it will be a while before I get to the paint/dye stage. :)

5. Yes, I have seen that exact color in a transparent dye used on flame maple - you shouldn't have a problem achieving it. The bass was over on the Dudepit. And I think it was the "BeardBurst" guitar here on the TB Luthiers forum that had that color as a solid. Search for the term "beard burst" and you should find it.

BTW, PhatCactus's explanation of the physics is perfect. :bassist:

6. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Thanks I'll do a search here and at the pit.
    Ans yeah phatCats explanation was way cool. It even prompted me to do more research on color and light, interesting stuff :)