1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Build, Sort Of... (Lots of Pics)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sundown1206, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm not as brave as many of you, and so I'm making a parts bass for the first time rather than starting from nothing. I've got a good amount of questions and so I'll just be quick and list them. Pics will be at the bottom. Thank you so much for helping

The neck pocket is the main issue here. As you can see, the bass is unfinished, and the neck doesn't exactly fit the pocket toward the end. It does fit for the most part, but is extremely tight.

1. How can I paint and finish it without making the neck pocket too tight? If I mask the entire pocket, will the paint/finish hold at the edge when the neck is in? I'm afraid it won't look right or will crack.

2. The Status Necks end is slightly flatter than most J Bass necks. It's more like a MIJ Jaguars neck. How can I get it to fit? I'm thinking I should trim the pocket in the rounded corners a little deeper to allow the neck to move in place all the way. Will that throw off intonation? Or can I just adjust it at the bridge to compensate? This is the part that scares me. I know I can't just shave a pickguard pocket to cover it because then I'd have to slide the pickguard up a bit. That may mess up the neck pickups position. Plus, I'd rather not cover up mistakes.

3. Just like the Mighty Mite neck pocket, all standard Jazz Pickguards have the same pocket shape. How can I make this match the neck/future pocket shapes? I feel a router may melt it and wont cut it clean enough.

4. Mighty Mite didn't drill the holes for the bridge. I'm assuming I should just measure and measure and measure till I get it perfect compared to any standard jazz. I just want to know if I'm right here I guess.

5. Should I drill the bridge, control plate, and pickguard holes before I paint the bass? I don't want to risk cracking the paint/finish.

And that's all I can think to ask. A coworker of mine experienced in painting will help me paint and finish it. I'm going for the blue sparkle modulus flea bass look. So of course, I'll be replacing the pickguard with a white pearl guard. Sorry for such a long post. Thanks again for the help guys.

IMG_1138.
    IMG_1142.
    IMG_1139.
    IMG_1140.
    IMG_1141.
    IMG_1145.
    IMG_1147.
    IMG_1146.

2. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    i like it as is, i wouldnt paint it maybe a satin finish and thats all.

3. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

+1. That body's grain pattern looks too attractive to cover with paint.

Sorry I can't help you with the neck route solution, I have my own ideas but I'm just a lurker here and don't have the experience to give you any credible advice.

Interesting project though. I have a similar plan involving a Status 5 string MM neck, but I will be attempting to make my own body for it. Hopefully, making a template from the neck and using that to route a new pocket will be easier than adjusting an existing pocket.

4. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    It does have a really cool grain pattern to it, but I'm not really into that look. But of course I can't paint it till I fix it

5. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Anyone?

6. Davidmh

Davidmh

Jul 12, 2012
    Wales, UK
    An obvious question - why not trim/shape the neck to fit the pocket?

It shouldn't take much.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would normally just massage the neck until it fit the pocket. But being that its a graphite neck, I don't know how well that will work. You may try a 5/8 dowel rod wrapped in 80 grit and reshape the pocket to the neck.

8. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Nice lookin project, esp the ash body

9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    So, how's this one working out now?