1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrazyWallaWalla, Jun 21, 2007.

1. CrazyWallaWalla

CrazyWallaWalla

Aug 16, 2006
    Toronto
    hey all, i got a crate combo amp 15w i think... real basic.

i want to move up to an actual cabinet, I've been poking around hearing about 8x10s and all kinds of junk like that and i got no clue. I've heard harke is amazing too.

i'm looking to get a basic cabinet around 700$ but ill go to $850 if its worth it. i mean with a head and everything. i was just wondering if u could help me find something in this price range.

now I'm gonna anticipate the "go do a search" comment by saying that i have and i can't seem to find any straightforward threads about different cabs... if u did find one, just like me to it and please
    save me the verbal abuse :)

2. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Get out to some stores and try some things. Maybe consider an Avatar 2x12 and the GK head that fits your budget. Buying used usually makes sense.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    you don't need a 810!!! most people don't.

check out some 210's, 112's, 410's.

if you want to buy new, www.avatarspeakers.com seems to be a good place to start on a limited budget, or used cabinets, just make sure they work!!!

you might have to buy used to get a decent amp for $400-500. I recommend you get a minimum of 400w@4ohms output.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Unless you plan to play Madison Square Garden sized venues, you don't need a 8x10.

I played a large club last week and the volume of my 450W Ampeg head was only turned to 2 or 3. This is only with 2 2x10 cabs.

Most of us use cabs only for stage sound.

An Ampeg fridge is 165lbs and a complete pain in the a$$ to move around.

5. fhbandy

fhbandy

May 22, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Poke around craigslist, ebay, etc and see what kind of deals you can find. My Current Rock-Rig cost me $450 dollars. Said rig is an ampeg svt-3 pro into an eden 4x10. You'd be hard pressed to find such crazy deals but you can still find really good stuff for much cheaper than new.

With that budget... don't, don't, don't, don't buy new.

Some brands to look at:

Heads: Ampeg, Gallien Krueger, SWR, Ashdown, Peavey, Carvin
    Cabs: Ampeg, Aguilar, Carvin, SWR, Hartke, GB, Avatar

The above all have different pros and cons and provide different sounds. Once you figure out what sound you are after, you can thin out the list a little bit. However, being that you probably want to keep it in the used market, you will need to either have plenty of patience or a willingness to sacrifice when making your decisions.

6. The kind of music you play will help us help you. Also, what tone do you want?

7. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    my boy

r u in walla walla

make a run to seattle to bass northwest and als guitarville
    and there is a gc in seattle and one in tukwila

i am an old coot now and i have hauled my share of 8 x 10's
    i used to use two of em with my svt

2 x 15's
    2 x 12's
    and others

i still have one 2 x 15

and recently i downsized to:
    a mesa walkabout head (300 w rms) and solid state with a tube front end

and a schroeder 1212L

i have only had this rig for a month
    and i have less than 100 hours on it
    but i dig it i dig it i dig it

its loud
    it is full on creamy toniness
    and it is lite
    the mesa is 13 lbs
    and the schroeder is 42 lbs

my back and the boys in the band thank me

8. CrazyWallaWalla

CrazyWallaWalla

Aug 16, 2006
    Toronto
    yea about that... this nickname was just given to me along time ago, and so i cannot remember the origin, but i assure you i am not from walla walla

thanx for the reply, i play classic rock mostly and other material such as tool and isis.
    i will take your advice and poke around with that suggestion in mind... thanx again

9. I'm gonna suggest you look for a used Hartke 4.5 XL. I played one of these for about 10 yrs in all sorts of situations and it never let me down and they can be had used pretty cheap. The metal cone look that was once all the rage has not become passé.

10. CrazyWallaWalla

CrazyWallaWalla

Aug 16, 2006
    Toronto
    thanx alot man, i think that what im goin for. i was originally thinking harke so this makes me happy... and i dont cae how it looks im after sound and reliability so this just may be for me

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021