1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First carved top Holt guitar...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ray Holt, May 12, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

This was my final project for my woods class at college. I had been working on a tool chest, but it wasn't going well and I got frustrated. With two weeks left in the class, I decided I was going to build a guitar. My instructor thought I was kidding.

I was not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all I have for now. In the next day or two I'll have a friend with a really good camera take some nice pictures.

Basics:
    Mahogany body
    Maple neck/flamed maple headcap
    Ebony fingerboard
    25" scale
    StewMac Golden Age overwound pickups
    Wide neck, 1-7/8" at the nut.

Only issue is the neck pickup is defective. Split coil. As soon as I get some quality pictures I'll yank it and send it back to StewMac for a replacement.

That's my 2-week guitar.

2. bronzehydra

bronzehydra

Oct 14, 2008
    Mukilteo, WA
    That's pretty cool! I wish I could build my bass in two weeks... I've been working on it for over a year now, and I'm not very far haha

3. Did you say wide? Is 1 7/8" big for a geetar? I've often pined for a classical-dimensioned neck on a Les Paul-esque slab-o-gtr. Looks superb, my friend.

4. It takes time. I spent a year at a guitar building school and a year in a professional shop building very high end jazz guitars.

Take your time. You will make mistakes, but if you want to do it you'll keep going and learn from them.

bassteban - yeah. more standard sizes would be 1-5/8", or 1-11/16". This is 3/16" more than that... it's noticeable. But I like it.

5. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh wow thats a beautiful guitar. Nice and simple. +1

Oh WOW, thats some wide as **** spacing. :p

6. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Holy **** that is nice! Kudos.

7. that's what i want too--at least a classical neck on an electric, maybe not so much a les paul shape.

either way, it looks great!

8. Thanks for the kind words guys.

9. Any more comments?

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Are you bumping your own thread fishing for comments?! :eyebrow:

This is a looky-what-I-can-do thread and they are normally frowned upon. Do you have any progress pics or anything else that can contribute to the education of others?

11. What kind of neck joint is it?