Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first CHALLENGING piece

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Feb 6, 2002.

1. i've finally found myself a challenge on the bass after 2 years of playing. i'm not saying it's because i'm amazing and that nothings hard enough for me but all the bass lines i've ever played were either written by me or from bands i like and the hardest one i learnt took mayby 4 hours to get down (maby if i had learnt some songs from a solo bass album i would have had a challenge but i don't have n e).

but i have finally found myself a challenge and it goes by the name of Toccata in D minor by J.S.Bach. I have transcribed(i don't know if thats the right word) the whole thing but i have been playing it for about 3 days and i still have LOADS of work to do with it.

before i started this project i wasn't looking faward to doing a really hard piece because i always hated doing hard pieces for piano and my guitarist LOATHES having to learn hard pieces (although he still polishes them to perfection) but it has actually made me fall in love with the bass EVEN MORE which i thought was impossibble, in fact i love it so much i've already started on my next piece which is fur elise

did n e 1 else find this when they started?

oh, and i owe a LOT of thanx to David J. Grossman for inspiring me to do a classical piece, THANX MAN

l8rz

Tom

P.S. can n e 1 tell me how to record onto a computer (without it sounding like poo), thanx

2. ive never actully learned that song, but i would like to ( mabe some how you can send me the transcribtion ?? ( mudgut220@home.com )

and to record your bass to your computer, well theres only 2 ways that i know of.

first off you'll need some sort of Converter that will go from your standard instrument cable jack, to the small one ( dont know whats its called ), but the one that goes into your sound card.

and you can either hook up directly from your bass guitar, or use a microphone and put it in front of your bass.

and from there you can use any simple recording program, hell use windows sound recorder if you like, but personally i like to use Sound Fordge.

hope helped.

3. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    If ur intrstd, u cud look at the rtcul in the new Bass Player, u wud hav to reed tho so....:rolleyes:

Jus playin'

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    someone can traslate this for me please??

5. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    lol...i have no idea what he said..my korn speak isn't very good...

Heh, i just hook up my dean bass in the box to my sound card. You should probably use an xlr out from a mixer to do it.

6. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    It was a joke...but my point was to look at the article in the new Bass Player Mag for info on inexpensice recording on a computer.

7. Sorry...but I'm going to add something that may across as very ignorant. But I mean well by saying it...

Why would anyone want to play Bach on their bass? Wouldn't it be much funner and better to just go out and buy a classical guitar and learn it that way? I'm a guitarist first, so maybe I just see it differently. I'm not trying to be ignorant. It just seems like, "What's the point?"

8. Here's an interesting fact:

There's been a lot of controversy as to wether or not Bach actually wrote the Tocatta and Fugue. There's a school of thought that it was actually one of his students who wrote it as an exercise and signed Bach's name on the manuscript.

The theory is based on the fact that Bach's other work at the time was much more complex.

ISN'T MUSIC HISTORY COOL?!?!?:D

jeff in chicago

9. the reason i don't go out and buy a classical guitar and learn it on that is because:

1. i can't afford to buy 1

2. i thought it would be a lot of fun to learn a classical piece (or 2) on the bass because my main love is playing the bass and i thaught it was getting a bit repetitive playing all the normal boring bass lines with the occational solo and chose to learn a classical piece to break that cycle

3. i just fancied adding a bit of variation to my repitior (is that spelled right?)

those are all the reasons i have/need so, there u go
    hope this ansered ure question

l8rz

Tom

10. uhh... what's the point in playing it on guitar.... Bach didn't write them out for guitar, you know.

why play melody on bass? isn't bass just to keep down the low end? :rolleyes:

11. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    toccata should be a challenging song, if you've never played classical before. that is the music that comes easy to me, and i find it hard to do rock solo's, because im so used to playing classical.