First Choir Gig Yesterday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Thanks to all who responded to my "Anyone Play With A Choir" post.
    First "gig" was yesterday. Didn't play on every number, 'cause I didn't have time to practice all of them. It is a catholic church, and we do 4 or 5 what we call "Service Songs" which are done at every mass. Very simple stuff, "The Lord's Prayer" the "Great Amen" etc. did all those because they are very simple. Our closing song was "Rain Down". Had that one nailed, went real well. Threw in a few walks and approach lines. One of the other bass players was in the pews. He said the volume out of my little amp was good, a little to "boomy" he called it, so I will flatten it out a bit. I did get lost once, but the best advice I got from you folks was go back to the major chord, and wait on the others to catch up. The embaressment is much less if you tell yourself that the two piano players just couldn't keep up with you. ;) I found out yesterday that the choir owns a larger Fender Bass Amp. We will put it in the choir loft premanently, so I don't have to do an equipment set up before each service. I am looking forward to that. That way I can use my small amp to take part in our 45 minute run through before the service.
    One final thought...You know when I was playing full time, there was no time for practicing, working on new stuff, etc. You pretty much had to wing each new number on the bandstand. I love this because I have plenty of time to work on a bass line, and get it just right.
    One again thanks for all the good wishes and great advice.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Glad it went well.
  3. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Thanks for the report. Boominess is always the complaint. Less bass and more mids will correct it. You probably want a little more punch in a church setting.
  4. I think that one of the "Boominess" problems is a habit I picked up many years ago. That is using primarily with the E and A strings with a wide fret range. That came from not having practice time off the bandstand. As I now have the time to learn more technique and more of the fretboard, I am working on spreading my notes out to a mixture of all 4 wires. I assume that that is what you mean by more mid range? It's amazing that I have found with dedicated practice that many of the runs I used to use worked me to death on the E and A strings, and they can all be done within pretty much a three fret range.
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Good job on the good gig

but.. shouldn't this be in Gig Stories section? :confused:
  6. Yes, I suppose it should. I'll attempt to do better next time. The entire thread where I was looking for other pickers that played in church started here. That's the reason I placed this follow up here. I was asked to post how the first outing went.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

I also play in a Catholic choir! What kind of bass are you playing? Churches are often designed to project low bass, particularly for the low organ tones. I just love it when the bass pedals on a Catholic Church organ make my internal organs feel like they're vibrating!

Anyway, try panning to the bridge pickup more if you can to help with the booniness. What kind of bass are you using? I use my Tacoma Thunderchief and Dean Edge 5 fretless depending on my mood.
  8. I'm playing a Washburn active Bass. Bought it used. I have found that by using the middle setting on the three way switch and getting back by the bridge that it helps. Just a matter of finding the right feeling. Thinking about changing to flat wound strings. The sound I want is more like an upright bass, more of a dead thump. We use two pianos. A standard acoustic piano, and a fancy electronic, that can emulate an organ, plus all other effects, but we don't use it that way too often. Putting in a lot of practice getting ready for next Sunday. Working on "We Are The Light Of The World" and "I Say Yes, Lord". We have plans to go to an all electric choir for one mass each week, but not having much luck with other electric guitarists, and finding a drummer that will stick with us. Thanks for the post. Stay in touch.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "We Are The Light Of The World" man I hate that song !!! Actually I used to hate it, but since I've been playing it I don't hate it so much any more. The 6/8 Russian vibe is kind of cool. Are you using the OCP book? Look up "Jesus The Lord", that song is really great.

Also, be aware that the currently popular song "The Supper Of The Lord" is heretical. Many people won't know that unless they are versed in the subtleties of the theology of the Eucharist. A priest will know, but we had to be told by our priest. Don't sing it, ever.
  10. I have workied out a great sounding walking bass line for Light Of The World.